Semyon Varlamov in goal for Avs
DALLAS -- Semyon Varlamov is the starting goalie for the Colorado Avalanche against the Dallas Stars two days after he spent the night in jail while prosecutors considered whether he should be charged with assaulting his girlfriend.
The 25-year-old Varlamov was arrested on suspicion of second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault. He turned himself in on Wednesday, and on Thursday, Varlamov was released on a $5,000 bond during a court appearance in Denver.
Varlamov was allowed to travel with the team for Friday night's game but is ordered to stay away from girlfriend Evgenia Vavrinyuk, among other restrictions.
Varlamov is 7-1 with a 1.76 goals-against average and a .945 save percentage for the Central Division-leading Avalanche.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- GM: Tortorella talk 'rumor and speculation'
- Stars 'keep rolling,' outlast NHL-best Blues
- Stars' Peverley undergoing tests on heart
- Fleury blanks Capitals as Penguins sweep
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Colorado Avalanche 2013 Draft Flex Fit Burgundy Hat