USA Basketball sets sights on roster

Updated: May 23, 2013, 7:44 PM ET
Associated Press

With Mike Krzyzewski back as coach, the U.S. can turn its attention to players who could suit up for him over the next three years.

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said Thursday the Americans expect about 24 young players in a July 22-25 minicamp in Las Vegas that will finish with an intrasquad scrimmage at the Thomas & Mack Center.

The Americans' next competition is the 2014 World Cup of Basketball in Spain. Colangelo said some of last year's Olympic gold medalists have already expressed an interest in playing again. They trained in Barcelona before traveling to London.

"But the reality is we will have continued turnover each competition and that's the way it should be so that the players have the opportunity to look toward the opportunity to represent," he said on a conference call. "And so I think the roster next summer will have some of the young guys who are going to be working out this summer and some of the carry-overs, and that's usually the way it plays out."

After the Americans won gold in the 2008 Olympics, all of those players agreed the following February to stay in the program for the next three years. However, none ended up playing in the 2010 world basketball championship, and the U.S. went on to win the title with a roster featuring many of the young players who took part in a '09 camp.

Krzyzewski said he had heard from some players and seen some public comments from others about his decision to stay for a third run as U.S. coach, but doesn't know who will come back with him.

"I haven't asked any player, 'Are you committed?' yet or whatever. I think that's a process that Jerry and us have to go through," he said. "We'll iron all that out. There will be a good momentum now going forward to try to re-establish the pool of players that we need to have to compete in these competitions."


Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press

ALSO SEE