Gymnast Gabby Douglas honored
NEW YORK -- Olympic all-around champion Gabby Douglas has won Sportswoman of the Year honors from the Women's Sports Foundation.
The gymnast won the award Wednesday night, beating out Lindsey Vonn, London Olympians Serena Williams, Missy Franklin, Allyson Felix and Paralympians Jessica Long and Tatyana McFadden.
Douglas is the third gymnast to win the award, joining fellow Olympic gold medalists Mary Lou Retton (1984) and Nastia Liukin (2008). Liukin presented Douglas with the award, given to an individual athlete who exhibits exceptional performances.
Douglas won the all-around gold at the London Olympics, the fourth American -- and first African-American -- to win gymnastics' biggest prize. She also helped the U.S. women to the team title, their first since 1996 and second overall.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Yanks' Nova to DL with elbow ligament tear
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Harper back in Nats' lineup after benching
- Tigers release Opening Day shortstop Gonzalez
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Zephyr Men's USA Hockey Uppercut Red/Navy Flex Hat