Bobby Ryan goal sparks U.S. win
HELSINKI -- The Anaheim Ducks' Bobby Ryan scored the first goal for the United States in the second period, helping it to a 5-2 victory over Switzerland at the ice hockey world championships in Helsinki on Tuesday.
Ivo Ruthemann opened the scoring 21 seconds into the second period to give Switzerland a 1-0 lead before Ryan scored the first of four consecutive goals for the Americans.
Switzerland's Morris Trachsler and Jeff Petry added goals.
On Thursday, the USA plays Finland and Canada faces Slovakia in Group A quarterfinals. In Group B in Stockholm, Russia meets Norway and Sweden plays the Czech Republic
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYHOCKEY HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Colorado Avalanche Paul Stastny #26 Home Burgundy Premier Jersey