HELSINKI -- Finnish forward Jesse Joensuu's winning goal with nine seconds left lifted Finland past the United States 3-2 Thursday for a place in the semifinals of the hockey world championships.
Bobby Ryan, also of the Ducks, added a goal for the U.S. early in the third period for a 2-1 lead.
Mikko Koivu of the Minnesota Wild tied it with 6:58 left in the third. Joensuu, once with the New York Islanders, pounced on a pass from Petri Kontiola and scored from close in with just nine seconds left.
Finland meets Russia on Saturday in the semifinal.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYHOCKEY HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Minnesota Wild Mikko Koivu #9 Hunter Green Alternate Premier Jersey
MORE FROM ESPN LOS ANGELES