28 invited to U.S. training camp
CHESTER, Pa. -- Goalkeeper Hope Solo and star striker Abby Wambach are part of the 28-player roster invited to training camp for the United States as it prepares to play China.
The roster for the exhibition game on May 27 at PPL Park was announced Wednesday by coach Pia Sundhage.
The U.S. team will train at Princeton, N.J., from May 10-25 for the next-to-last domestic match before the London Olympics.
Sundhage will choose 18 players for the match with China. Other World Cup veterans invited include defenders Rachel Buehler, Amy LePeilbet, Heather Mitts and Christie Rampone; midfielders Shannon Boxx, Carli Lloyd and Heather O'Reilly; and forwards Alex Morgan and Lauren Cheney.
Rampone is by far the most experienced player on the roster with 256 international appearances for the United States.
• Goalkeepers: Nicole Barnhart, Adrianna Franch, Ashlyn Harris, Jill Loyden, Hope Solo.
• Defenders: Rachel Buehler, Stephanie Cox, Whitney Engen, Meghan Klingenberg, Amy LePeilbet, Gina Lewandowski, Heather Mitts, Kelley O'Hara, Christie Rampone, Becky Sauerbrunn.
• Midfielders: Shannon Boxx, Tobin Heath, Lori Lindsey, Carli Lloyd, Kristie Mewis, Heather O'Reilly, Megan Rapinoe, Amy Rodriguez, Keelin Winters.
• Forwards: Lauren Cheney, Sydney Leroux, Alex Morgan, Abby Wambach.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal