Katie Taylor qualifies for Olympics
QINHUANGDAO, China -- Three-time world champion Katie Taylor of Ireland qualified for the London Olympics women's boxing, defeating Saida Khassenova of Kazakhstan 20-8 in the 132-pound class at the world championships on Tuesday.
Taylor will meet Mihaela Lacatus in Wednesday's quarterfinals after the Romanian beat Denitsa Eliseeva of Bulgaria 17-14.
The worlds are being held in 10 divisions but the focus is on three: 112-pound flyweight, 132-pound lightweight and 165-pound middleweight. They are the only three classes when women's boxing makes its debut at the Olympics.
All eight quarterfinalists in the three categories qualify for London.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's USA Hockey Navy Tri-Blend V-Neck T-Shirt