Nigeria earns last Olympics spot
CARACAS, Venezuela -- Ike Diogu scored 25 points, and Nigeria earned the final men's basketball spot in the London Olympics with an 88-73 victory over the Dominican Republic on Sunday night.
"I'm very happy. We did what had to be done," Diogu said. "We knew we were going to face teams that are heavyweights, and we did what we needed to do -- win."
Yack Martinez led the Dominican Republic, coached by Kentucky's John Calipari, with 16 points.
Russia and Lithuania also qualified with victories Saturday.
In London, Lithuania and Nigeria will join the United States, Tunisia, France and Argentina in Group A. Russia, China, Britain, Brazil, Australia and Spain are in Group B.
The Dominican Republic will play the U.S. in an exhibition game Thursday in Las Vegas.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
All the information you need for Olympic basketball rules, athletes and history.
- Nike Men's Kentucky Wildcats #22 Silver Replica Basketball Jersey