Diver Emilie Heymans retires
MONTREAL -- Four-time Olympic diving medalist Emilie Heymans is retiring.
The 31-year-old Canadian made the announcement Wednesday at the Montreal training facility where it all started for her two decades ago.
Heymans won medals in four consecutive Summer Games -- the first female diver and first Canadian Olympian to do so.
The Belgian-born Heymans, who grew up near Montreal, started out in gymnastics but was too big. She decided to switch to diving at age 11.
She won bronze in the 3-meter synchro springboard event with partner Jennifer Abel at the 2012 London Games. Heymans also won silver in Sydney in 2000, bronze in Athens in 2004 and another silver in Beijing in 2008.
Three of her four medals came in synchro events with three different partners.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: Phil's Knicks deal to be done Friday
- No. 8 Michigan overcomes scare from Illinois
- Bengals extend Lewis' contract through '15
- Hall, Sherman exchange barbs via Twitter
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Canada Black Replica Hockey Jersey