Maren Taylor, Sam Dorman win titles
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Maren Taylor and Sam Dorman won their first national titles on the 1-meter board on opening day of the U.S. national diving championships Tuesday.
Taylor scored 296.10 points to win. Deirdre Freeman finished second with 287.15 after leading by 15 points going into the final round on the Iowa campus where she went to college. Amanda Burke was third at 285.45.
Taylor, Freeman and Burke competed at last month's world championships in Spain.
In the men's competition, Dorman won with 412.15 after leading for all but the first of six rounds. He ended his list with his highest scoring dive of the night, earning 78.40 points for a front 2½ with one twist.
Michael Hixon was second with 400.90. Darian Schmidt was third with 396.80.
The meet continues through Sunday.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch plans holdout over contract
- Judge denies Hernandez request for dismissal
- Johnson accounted for at start of Texans camp
- Paul: Sitting out possible if Sterling remains
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Zephyr Men's USA Hockey Uppercut Navy/Red Flex Hat