Meb Keflezighi joins marathon field
Meb Keflezighi, the top American finisher at the recently completed London Olympics, has committed to run in the ING New York City Marathon.
Keflezighi is joined by fellow 2012 Olympian Abdi Abdirahman; and two other top American marathoners, Jason Hartmann and Brett Gotche. They join two-time Olympian Ryan Hall of the USA and Kim Smith of New Zealand, who were announced earlier.
In addtion, the American wheelchair field will feature veterans Krige Schabort, Adam Bleakney, and Josh George.
The race is set for Nov. 4.
Race organizers also announced that a $100,000 purse is being added for U.S. citizens, with the top man and woman finisher earning $20,000. Second through fifth place will earn $15,000, $10,000, $3,500 and $1,500, respectively. The total prize purse is $853,000.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Cards, CB Peterson agree to record $70M deal
- Lester scratched from start but no trade yet
- Castro fly in 16th ends Cubs' longest game
- Boeheim calls Rose 'most impressive' player
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Zephyr Men's USA Hockey Uppercut Navy/Red Flex Hat