John Speraw helms U.S. volleyball
UCLA men's volleyball coach John Speraw has been hired as the head coach of the U.S. men's volleyball team in preparation for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
Speraw says he will continue to coach the Bruins while he works with the national team, which is headquartered in Anaheim, Calif.
Speraw was an assistant coach under Hugh McCutcheon for the U.S. men's team that won the gold medal in the 2008 Beijing Games. He continued as an assistant under Alan Knipe for the Olympic team that finished fifth in London last summer.
The U.S. men are currently ranked fifth in the world by the FIVB, the sport's international governing body.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's USA Hockey Navy Tri-Blend V-Neck T-Shirt