Tina Weirather out of super-G
KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia -- Tina Weirather of Liechtenstein has pulled out of Saturday's women's Olympic super-G after failing to recover from a training crash.
Switzerland team spokesman Lorenz Liechti said Weirather was in too much pain after warming up and inspecting the course early Saturday.
The 24-year-old Weirather, who trains with the Swiss team, was an expected medal contender. She is one of only three women to win a World Cup super-G this season.
Weirather bruised her right shin in a crash in downhill training Sunday.
She also is entered in the giant slalom, which is scheduled for Tuesday.
Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's USA Hockey Navy Tri-Blend V-Neck T-Shirt