Craig Pickering (back) out of Sochi
KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia -- Britain's Craig Pickering has withdrawn from the bobsled competition at the Sochi Olympics with a back injury.
Pickering, who also was on Britain's track team in the 2008 Beijing Games, injured his back Feb. 2 while training in Germany. Pickering also was forced to miss the London Olympics with a back injury and said he's "devastated to have suffered a similar fate" in the days leading up to the Winter Games.
Coach Gary Anderson said the loss of Pickering, a push athlete for Great Britain-2, was a "big blow and I am personally devastated."
Anderson said the team is still deciding which athletes to have in its sleds for the two- and four-man competitions.
Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Zephyr Men's USA Hockey Uppercut Navy/Red Flex Hat