Sick Marcus Hellner out of 50K race
KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia -- Three-time Olympic cross-country champion Marcus Hellner of Sweden will miss the concluding 50-kilometer freestyle race at the Sochi Games because of a sinus illness.
Hellner helped Sweden win the relay gold for the second straight Olympics last Sunday but has struggled with blocked sinuses this week, and the Swedish team said Saturday he's not well enough to compete in the grueling 50K race.
Sweden only entered three skiers in the race -- world champion Johan Olsson, Daniel Richardsson and Anders Soedergren -- as the rest of the team has already left Sochi.
Hellner also won the 30K skiathlon in Vancouver in 2010, and took silver in the event in Sochi.
Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's USA Hockey Navy Tri-Blend V-Neck T-Shirt