Henrik Lundqvist in minor collision
Though Lundqvist returned to the ice before the session ended and appeared to be fine, a potential injury to the 2012 Vezina Trophy winner could have spelled disaster.
The 31-year-old goalie has surrendered only three goals in three games during the Olympics for a 1.67 goals-against average and .936 save percentage. Undefeated in the preliminary round, Sweden will be the No. 1 seed heading into the quarterfinals and will face the winner of the qualification round game between Slovenia and Austria on Tuesday.
"I told him I was sorry, about 500 times," Karlsson said, according to Reuters.
Beyond the immediate concerns for Sweden, the Rangers must have been sweating the injury report as well. Since a poor start to the 2013-14 season, Lundqvist has been rock-solid for New York, which is in second place in the Metropolitan Division.
Lundqvist missed two games in October with a shoulder injury but has otherwise been remarkably durable during his tenure with the Rangers.
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's St. Patrick's Day New York Rangers Henrik Lundqvist #30 Kelly Green T-Shirt