Pheasant cordon bleu
Contributed by: Dave Zabel from Bristol, Conn.
Serve with roasted red potatoes, and fresh blanched asparagus. Add a glass
of your favorite wine and enjoy. Makes four servings.
4 boneless pheasant breasts, skin on or off
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 thin slices prosciutto or sliced pepperoni olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, minced (or substitute ½ teaspoon dried
Salt and pepper
1. Lightly pound pheasant breast flat between wax paper sheets or in a zip bag.
2. Place a piece of the cheese on the pheasant breast then a piece of prosciutto.
3. Brush on a little olive oil over breasts. Sprinkle garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper on top.
4. Roll the breast tightly then secure with a toothpick.
5. Brush more olive oil on the top to help prevent drying out during
6. Place rolled breasts in a lightly buttered baking dish.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45 minutes.
Editor's note: If you don't have any prosciutto or pepperoni in the fridge, try it the traditional way with ham. A sprinkling of breadcrumbs over the cheese will keep it from running out of the meat when melted. To further
keep the breasts from drying out, add about ½-inch of chicken broth to the pan and cover after lightly browning. Depending on the thickness of the pheasant breasts, cooking time may be considerably less than 45 minutes.