We asked for your help, and more than 500 of you came through with suggestions for future Page 2 lists. Needless to say, there was a lot of overlap, and some of you suggested lists Page 2 has already done. Tsk, tsk. But we forgive you, because we are good and kind and fair.
OUR TOP 10
||Here's how Page 2 editors ranked our 10 favorite lists from the past year:
1. Irritating Thing at Sporting Events That Must Stop ... Immediately
2. Worst Call in Sports History
3. Best Moment in a Baseball Movie
4. Active Athlete Who Should Hang It Up
5. Coolest Athlete Ever
6. Worst Current Owner
7. Best Feud Ever
8. Least Likeable Football Player Ever
9. Greatest Sports Wife of All-Time
10. Best Nickname
We've picked our 10 favorites, along with a few alternates, and we will use most -- and possibly all -- of these in future weeks. Vote in the poll at the right for your top choice.
1. Sports phrases that most need to be stricken from the language"Guys stepping up"
"Guys making plays"
"Play within ourselves" (What's the alternative? Play without ourselves? Play outside of ourselves?)
Anything that comes out of Bill Walton's mouth
Referring to athletes in the plural à ;a Joe Theismann: "When you talk about the elite quarterbacks, you talk about the Brett Favres, the Kurt Warners ..." (Peter Gammons has an interesting version of this, in that he always throws in someone who blatantly doesn't belong: "They need a big bat, like a Jason Giambi, or an Alex Rodriguez, or a Rey Ordoñez.")
2. Funniest athletes of all-time
3. Worst uniforms ever
3a. Best uniforms ever
4. Toughest franchises to be a fan of
Red Sox, Cubs, Clippers, Vikings all make my list.
South Hadley, Mass.
5. Best teams not to win a championship
6. Best performances by an athlete or coach in a commercial
7. Best announcers' calls
8. Strangest sports superstitions or rituals
Wade Boggs eating only chicken. Harold Miner touching things with his nose.
9. Biggest scandals in sports history
Skategate, Blacksox, Tonya/Nancy, Roy Jones Jr.
10. Best sports video games ever
Also receiving votesGreatest one-shot wonders
Most heart-breaking losses
Most touching tear-jerk moments
Greatest all-around athletes of all-time
Best sports colloquialisms