Richard Childress to stay 3-car team
CONCORD, N.C. -- The owner of Richard Childress Racing is resigned to shrinking from four to three full-time Sprint Cup teams for next season.
"Right now we're looking at three Cup cars with an occasional Cup race (for a fourth)," Richard Childress said Friday during a news conference at Charlotte Motor Speedway. "Who knows what may come up between now and then. I've had offers to race people and race drivers and had another full sponsorship with a driver.
"I just want to make sure it's the right move when we make it. So we're still as of right now, we're three Cup teams."
Four weeks ago, Childress said he still was working to find sponsors for a fourth team and had a list of four or five drivers who might fill the seat.
The "occasional Cup race" will be with grandson Austin Dillon, who will move from the Truck Series to the Nationwide Series full-time next season. Dillon made his Cup debut last week at Kansas and finished 26th in a Mike Curb car.
"We may stick Austin in another car one or two times," Childress said. "We've got a couple of other people that said they want to run. If we see it's the right opportunity for a change that we can test something or look at a driver or something, we may do that."
Childress opted to shrink his organization for the second time in three years after failing to re-sign Clint Bowyer, who recently announced he is joining Michael Waltrip Racing on a three-year deal. Childress said there was enough sponsorship for a full season with Bowyer, but the two couldn't come to terms financially.
"It was just we knew what our financial model was and Clint knew where he needed to be and we just couldn't ever come together to make it work," Childress said. "I'm very sad that it didn't because I really like Clint. He's going to be a great driver. Never say never; hopefully he will be back someday at RCR."
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.