JGR wants to keep Joey Logano
BROOKLYN, Mich. -- Joe Gibbs doesn't have any plans to let Joey Logano go after this season.
Gibbs said before Sunday's rain-delayed Sprint Cup race at Michigan International Speedway that he planned to re-sign the 22-year-old driver, whose contract with Joe Gibbs Racing expires after this season.
"Obviously, we've been together for a long time," Gibbs said. "We've got a lot invested. He's our guy and we plan on going forward ... right now in the 20 car."
Logano won last week's Cup race at Pocono to snap a 104-race losing streak and silenced many of the critics speculating he would be replaced by Kurt Busch next season.
"I hope this shuts them up," Logano said after the win that propelled him into a tie with Ryan Newman for 14th in points and the second wild card spot for the Chase.
Logano also has won four of the last five Nationwide races he's entered and has five victories in the series on the season. The biggest question is the status of primary sponsor Home Depot in the Cup series.
"There's no sense going through a bunch of issues," Gibbs said. "We're solid in the points and Joey is stepping up. We're counting on him being with us."