Matt Kenseth staying quiet on deal
INDIANAPOLIS -- Matt Kenseth will drive for Joe Gibbs Racing in 2013, but according to multiple sources, the Sprint Cup points leader can't talk about it until mid- to late-August at the earliest due to a stipulation in his current contract with Roush Fenway Racing.
Roush announced last month that the 2003 Sprint Cup champion was leaving after the 2012 season and would be replaced by reigning Nationwide Series champion Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
Kenseth confirmed at the time he has a deal for 2013, but declined to discuss details. RFR officials declined to comment on any portion of Kenseth's contract.
Joe Gibbs Racing president J.D. Gibbs declined on Sunday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway to comment on Kenseth's situation. But Gibbs said the goal was to have four teams in 2013, and that every effort was being made to re-sign Joey Logano, whose contract expires after this season, if sponsorship can be found.
"We want him to retire at JGR," Gibbs said. "We're trying to figure out how to make all of that work."
Sources said Kenseth would take over the Home Depot and likely Dollar General sponsors currently on Logano's No. 20 Toyota. They left open the possibility of Kenseth running the No. 20 or another number.
Sources said JGR has looked at several options for Logano, from running a full-time Nationwide schedule and part-time Cup schedule to running a full-time Cup schedule with a part-time or full-time Nationwide slate.
"We've talked a number of different potentials, but obviously we'd like him to be in Cup full-time," Gibbs said.
Logano also has been shopping for other options in 2013. The No. 22 car at Penske Racing could become one spot with driver AJ Allmendinger indefinitely suspended for violating NASCAR's drug policy.
Team owner Roger Penske said on Sunday his phone has been ringing off the hook from prospective drivers. He said the plan moving forward this season is to use Sam Hornish Jr. in place of Allmendinger for most of the races.
Asked recently if he or his representatives had made contact with Penske Racing, Logano said, "Obviously, right now we look at all our options out there in trying to do whatever we can do to have the best opportunity for my future. That's talking to as many people as we can and seeing what's available."
Kenseth isn't talking to anybody, at least not about his future after Roush.
"No," he recently said when asked if he could shed light on his 2013 plans. "I hoped to do it a couple of weeks ago. I don' t know when it's gonna happen. You guys will know the same time I do, I guess."
MORE RACING HEADLINES
- Danica, Ky. Busch wreck in Bristol practice
- Kenseth to use standby drivers in case of baby
- NASCAR to allow cooling units during qualifying
- Keselowski passes Dale Jr., wins Las Vegas