Joey Logano has two Cup offers

Updated: August 15, 2012, 11:40 AM ET
By David Newton | ESPN.com

CONCORD, N.C. -- Joey Logano is mulling offers for two full-time Sprint Cup rides next year, including one to remain at Joe Gibbs Racing, and expects to make a decision soon.

"I've got a couple of offers," the 22-year-old driver said on Wednesday at Charlotte Motor Speedway, where he was promoting fall events. "I'm just trying to decipher what's the best for me. What's going to give me the most trophies and win the most races out of?

"I could be fairly close (to a decision). I could be a few weeks out. It all depends on the next couple of days, actually."

Logano is in the final year of his contract in the No. 20 Toyota at Gibbs Racing. Multiple sources told ESPN.com that Matt Kenseth will replace Logano with the 20 team in 2013, although not necessarily with the No. 20 on the car. Sources said an announcement can't be made until sometime after mid-to-late August because of a stipulation in Kenseth's contract at Roush Fenway Racing.

One of Logano's offers is to remain with Gibbs. JGR president J.D. Gibbs told ESPN.com last month at Indianapolis Motor Speedway that there have been talks about a fourth Cup team with the organization and giving Logano either a full-time Cup ride or a part-time Cup ride and full-time Nationwide team.

"We want him to retire at JGR," Gibbs said. "We're trying to figure out how to make all of that work." Gibbs said the preference is to keep Logano full-time in Cup.

Logano would not discuss the name of the other organization that has made an offer. The No. 22 at Penske Racing has been mentioned as a possibility since AJ Allmendinger was released following his suspension for failing a drug test.

[+] EnlargeJoey Logano
Geoff Burke/Getty ImagesIf Joey Logano's Cup career doesn't continue out of Joe Gibbs' garage, it appears that the 22-year-old driver could be bound for Penske Racing.

Penske Racing also might be considering adding a third team next year as it moves to Ford. Sam Hornish Jr. has been named Allmendinger's replacement for the foreseeable future.

"There's only so many good teams out there," Logano said when asked directly about Penske Racing. He said he is not considering a part-time Cup ride.

"I wouldn't put that as an option right now," he said. "I feel like I'm capable of winning Cup races. I feel like I'm there. Taking a step back would not be best for my career. At the same time, you've got to make sure it's the best opportunity. It's not worth jumping down a notch to race more races if you're not going to be competitive."

The Cup offer at Gibbs is dependent on finding sponsorship.

"They're working through a lot of that stuff," Logano said. "That's why the next few days will be interesting on how a lot of things go."

Logano would not say if he preferred to stay at Gibbs, where he has been driving since he started his NASCAR career as a teenager in 2008.

"It's a very, very hard decision," Logano said. "At the same time we've been able to focus in on our car and still have fast Home Depot cars. We haven't lost focus on going out there and making the Chase this year.

"When you do that, that makes life a lot easier and your decisions a lot easier."

Logano is 17th in points, but he remains in contention for one of two wild-card spots in the Chase because of a June victory at Pocono. Kasey Kahne currently has the first wild-card spot with two victories.

Jeff Gordon, who won Sunday's race at Pocono, has the second spot with a win and the tiebreaker over Ryan Newman for 13th in points.

"These next few races leading up to the Chase are important for a lot of cars," Logano said. "I think two or three wins is what you're going to need to make it."

David Newton | email

ESPN Carolina Panthers reporter