AJ Allmendinger could be re-hired
FONTANA, Calif. -- Roger Penske would consider re-hiring AJ Allmendinger, the suspended NASCAR driver who was at the IndyCar season finale as his guest.
Allmendinger failed a NASCAR drug test in July and was released by Penske Racing when his backup "B" sample also tested positive. He's currently participating in NASCAR's "Road to Recovery" program, and Penske said Saturday he felt the driver has been too reclusive during the process.
"I told AJ I wanted him to come to a race; I think he had been kind of undercover for quite a bit of the time, and I thought it would be good for him to get out and see people here, talk to some of the team owners," Penske said before the IndyCar finale at Auto Club Speedway.
Allmendinger was in his first season with Penske Racing, the biggest ride of his career, when he failed a drug test taken June 29. He was suspended hours before the July race at Daytona and released by Penske on Aug. 1.
His suspension came at a time when Penske was evaluating picking up the option on Allmendinger for 2013. Sam Hornish Jr. has filled in for Allmendinger since, and Joey Logano was hired to drive the car next season.
But, Penske said once Allmendinger's suspension is resolved with NASCAR, he's a viable option for owners in both NASCAR and IndyCar. Allmendinger spent three seasons in Champ Car, and won five races in 2006 before moving to NASCAR.
"I think hopefully we'll get some answer from NASCAR as quickly as possible because the Chase has started now, hopefully they'll give him a clean bill of health and he can move on," Penske said. "This is a speed bump in his career, but he's certainly an option for people on the NASCAR side and the Indy side. He did a great job when you think about what he did in Champ Car."
Asked if he'd hire Allmendinger again, Penske said: "He could be an option for us, for sure."
Pressed later on if he was being honest, Penske insisted, "Yes. He's someone we would consider."
Penske doesn't have an open seat in NASCAR, and it's not clear what will happen with his third IndyCar team. He's already picked up the 2013 options on Will Power and Helio Castroneves, but has told Ryan Briscoe he's free to look around while the team tries to secure sponsorship for that seat.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE RACING HEADLINES
- Sponsorship woes endangering Swan Racing
- Ky. Highway Safety to sponsor N'wide event
- Harvick survives shootout for Darlington win
- Elliott passes Sadler, wins again on N'wide