Jeff Burton won't return to RCR
Jeff Burton will not return to Richard Childress Racing in 2014, the organization announced Wednesday.
Mark Garrow reports Jeff Burton is out of the 31 car at the end of the season. Tony Stewart returns to the track this weekend.
Sources say financial concerns played a key role in the decision.
Asked for comment prior to RCR's announcement, Burton said a news conference would be held at 1 p.m. ET.
Burton did, however, note that, "I've had no conversations with anyone about 2014 concerning my driving future."
RCR personnel did not immediately return requests for comment.
For weeks, Burton has been the subject of much speculation, as rumors began to swirl in the Sprint Cup garage that Ryan Newman was a candidate for Burton's No. 31 car in 2014. One report earlier this week had Burton leaving RCR and moving to Swan Racing to drive the No. 30 car.
Swan Racing general manager Bray Pemberton told ESPN on Tuesday that "we haven't even spoken with Jeff Burton."
Burton confirmed he has had "zero discussions" with Swan Racing.
MORE RACING HEADLINES
- Victory lap: Gordon to slow down after '15
- Vickers to sit just 2 races after heart surgery
- Mark Martin among Motorsports HOF inductees
- Daytona extends deal with Rolex as sponsor