Travis Pastrana's racing plans on hold
Travis Pastrana Hurt in Best Trick
INDIANAPOLIS -- Travis Pastrana has withdrawn from his Nationwide Series debut race Saturday at Lucas Oil Raceway and has no immediate plans to return to NASCAR after breaking his right foot and ankle during X Games 17.
Pastrana had withdrawn from the X Games, where he was in line for a gold medal in the Moto X Best Trick before his second attempt at a corked 720 went awry Thursday night in Los Angeles.
But Pastrana is still on the list for Sunday's RallyCross event in Los Angeles. And, he, his team and the medical staff are in the exploratory stages of determining if he will be competitive -- and safe -- enough to drive.
Officials at Michael Waltrip Racing, which was fielding a Nationwide car for Pastrana, said they are waiting for a report from doctors before making plans for the driver, whose next scheduled race is Sept. 9 at Richmond.
"I am sorry this happened and will be back in action as soon as I can," Pastrana told ESPN following his release from the hospital.
Trainer Todd Jacobs said Pastrana will have surgery on his foot, ankle and hand in Maryland. The surgery is planned for Tuesday. Pastrana already had suffered ligament damage to his hand from practice.
"No one is more disappointed than Travis," Jacobs said. "He feels like he let everyone down and hopes everyone knows how hard he worked for this."
Pastrana had been scheduled to compete in the Best Trick and Freestyle Thursday and Friday at X Games 17, then fly to Indianapolis to qualify and race, then return to Los Angeles and compete in RallyCross Sunday.
Pastrana waved off his initial attempt at the corked 720, under-rotated and crashed on the first official attempt, then crashed harder on the second. He immediately reached for his lower leg, which became pinned between the motorcycle and ground when he landed sideways.
He was taken from the facility on a stretcher and transported to a hospital for X-rays, which revealed the breaks.
"Like fans everywhere, we were so excited about Travis' debut Saturday night," Waltrip team owner Michael Waltrip said. "We have a long-term vision with Travis, which includes lots of NASCAR. We can't wait to get him healed and in our racecars.
"We talked to our sponsor Boost Mobile and agreed to withdraw from Indy and delay our debut. We've waited a long time for someone like Travis Pastrana. I guess we'll just have to wait a little bit longer."
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MORE RACING HEADLINES
- Sponsorship woes endangering Swan Racing
- Ky. Highway Safety to sponsor N'wide event
- Harvick survives shootout for Darlington win
- Elliott passes Sadler, wins again on N'wide