LOUDON, N.H. -- Rumors that Ginn Racing is under financial duress were sparked further when the teams of Joe Nemechek and Sterling Marlin arrived at New Hampshire International Speedway without primary sponsors.
Minority owner Jay Frye did his best to squash those rumors on Saturday.
"Obviously, if you don't have sponsors that's not a good thing," he said. "There really is no financial crisis or trouble or anything like that. [But] we've got to get these cars funded."
Frye said he's working on a deal that could be closed on Monday and substantially help the situation that has both cars with a "handful" of remaining races without sponsors.
Frye said the lack of sponsorship came about because the organization grew so fast at the end of last season when Bobby Ginn bought majority ownership and a few deals fell through at the start of this season.
He added that the team already is focusing on plans for 2008 that included Mark Martin sharing the 01 U.S. Army car with a young driver, Regan Smith moving full time into either the No. 13 or 14 car currently driven by Nemechek and Marlin, and Marlin possibly going to a part-time schedule.
He didn't rule out putting Smith in more Cup races this season even if it means taking Marlin or Nemechek out.
"You wouldn't put out a third car that was underfunded with two others that are underfunded," he said, reminding Smith drove the No. 39 earlier this year. "Is everything financially OK? Yes. But when you start doing things like that ... it's just not good business."
Kyle Busch watch
Richard Childress said he has spoken to Kyle Busch about driving for Richard Childress Racing next season.
"Any owner would be foolish not to speak to him to see kind of where his intentions are, what he wanted," Childress said. "We're talking to him. We're looking for a fourth team."
Childress said if he can't get the driver and crew chief combination he wants, then he will wait until 2009 to start a fourth team.
"We think with the right driver we have the sponsorship lined up, but it all boils down to the right driver," he said.
Busch has visited with eight Cup organizations and hopes to have his list narrowed to about four by the end of the weekend. Frye said Ginn Racing would love to have the 22-year-old driver, but that there have been no serious conversations with him.
Dale Earnhardt Inc., which has an opening because Dale Earnhardt Jr. is leaving the company to replace Busch at Hendrick Motorsports next season, Evernham Motorsports and Joe Gibbs Racing are among Busch's other suitors.
David Newton covers motorsports for ESPN.com.