Biffle wins shortened race as seven of 12 Chase drivers finish 29th or worse

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Darkness finally ended the disaster at
Kansas Speedway, where the Chase for the championship field
imploded and the finish of Sunday's event was in question long
after winner Greg Biffle crossed the finish line.

Biffle scored his first win of the season by winning a race that
was stopped twice for rain delays, was shortened 85 miles because
of darkness, ended under caution and saw seven Chase drivers finish
29th or worse.

And when Biffle's sputtering car slowed before the finish line,
title contenders Clint Bowyer and Jimmie Johnson passed him and
both believed they finished ahead of him.

"I don't know what happened, [he] didn't cross it the way I
thought you were supposed to," said Kansas native Bowyer, who had
to settle for second place on his homestate track.

"I know they're not going to pull him out of Victory Lane."

Johnson, who finished third to reclaim the points lead, said
Biffle wasn't the winner.

"The biggest question mark right now is what goes on with
[Biffle]," he said. "He clearly ran out of gas and I feel
terrible for those guys. But if you can't maintain pace car speed,
then the guys that can finished ahead of you."

But Biffle, who ended a 28-race winless streak with the victory,
angrily dismissed their criticism.

"Their opinion really doesn't count, as far as I'm concerned,"
he said. "They're probably thinking, 'Oh, it ran out of gas, I
coasted across the line, everybody went by me, I went into the
grass and then they pushed it to Victory Lane.'

"That's not the case. The car runs right now ... you can go and
start it. [NASCAR] told me not to start it. I was unbuckling, and
trying to save my gas, because I knew the race is over. The field's
frozen. The caution's out. And I didn't know they were going to go
by me. So should I have bumped the clutch again, gave it a little
more juice, so nobody would roll past me coming to the stripe?"

NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said Biffle was the winner
because the race ended under caution, the field was frozen and
passing is not allowed under caution.

It made for a confusing finish that was par for the course on
this crazy Sunday.

Rain caused two delays totaling almost three hours, Kyle Busch
was wrecked early by the driver who got him fired from Hendrick
Motorsports, and two-time series champion Tony Stewart gambled
twice -- the first one put him in position to win, and the second
one took him out of contention.

When the dust finally settled, the points standings had been
blown open for a Chase field that entered the event with the top
six drivers separated by just 28 points.

Now Johnson has a six-point lead over teammate Jeff Gordon, and
Bowyer is in third, 14 points out.

Stewart, who started the day just two points out of the lead,
finished 39th and dropped to fourth -- 117 points out.

Kevin Harvick finished sixth to jump four spots in the standings
to fifth, 126 points out.

Busch, who came into the race 10 points out of the lead,
finished 41st. He's sixth in the standings, 136 points out, and
blamed his poor day squarely on Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Earnhardt ran into the back of Busch very early in the race when
he closed in on his rear bumper in an attempt to pass. The contact
sent Busch sliding down the track, and his car then rocketed back
across and into the wall.

Busch was furious at Earnhardt, who was hired in June to drive
for Hendrick next season. The move cost Busch his spot with the
elite four-car team.

"I left a lane for him on the outside because I knew he was
going to have a good run coming off the corner. He ran me over for
no reason whatsoever," Busch said. "Just an unfortunate
circumstance and I am sure these guys aren't very appreciative of
the guy who is going to be racing for them next year just dumped
their car that has a great shot for the championship."

Earnhardt was apologetic, but the damage was done. Fortunately
for Busch, most of the Chase field struggled, as well.

Matt Kenseth (35th) and Martin Truex Jr. (38th) wrecked on the
first lap after the race resumed following the second rain delay.
Stewart was involved in that accident, causing fender damage that
his crew chief decided not to attempt to fix.

The damage caused a rub that led to the explosion of his tire.
Kurt Busch (11th) ran into the back of him, sending him spinning
into the path of Carl Edwards. Stewart was fuming after the wreck,
angrily removing his steering wheel and throwing his gloves, helmet
and safety gear as he exited his car.

Stewart, who put himself in position to win the race by not
pitting for gas right before the second rain delay, declined
comment as he left the race track.

Edwards, last week's race winner, finished 37th and lamented the
sequence of events. He said his spotter thought Stewart should have
pulled off the track for repairs when the tire rub sent billowing
white smoke from his car.

"Tony had a tire rubbing for a long time, must have been going
down or something," Edwards said. "He thought maybe Tony should
have pulled in and fixed his car, but if our car started smoking,
we would have been begging to stay out, too. So I see both sides of
it. That's just how it goes, man."

Denny Hamlin wrecked shortly after, and Jeff Burton had an early
fuel problem as Gordon, Harvick and Johnson were the only Chase
drivers to have uneventful days.