LAS VEGAS -- Juan Manuel Lopez does not like to waste time.
For the third consecutive fight, the junior featherweight titleholder from Puerto Rico scored a first-round knockout, this time blowing away Argentina's Sergio Medina in 1 minute, 14 seconds on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on the undercard of the Oscar De La Hoya-Manny Pacquiao welterweight showdown.
"This is a big stage and it's a bit of [a] letdown that I could not give the fans an even better fight," Lopez said.
Lopez (24-0, 22 KOs), 25, retained his title for the second time as he pounded Medina with ease, dropping him three times before referee Joe Cortez called it off without a count following the third knockdown.
Lopez went at Medina (33-2, 18 KOs), 26, with right hooks, using that powerful weapon to help him score all three knockdowns.
"He looked a little scared to me," Lopez said. "I didn't think I hit him that hard, but he kept going down."
Lopez crushed Daniel Ponce Lopez in the first round to win the title in June and then blew out Cesar Figueroa for another first-round knockout in his initial defense in October.
Top Rank might bring Lopez back for his next defense on Feb. 21, on the undercard of welterweight Miguel Cotto's comeback fight against Michael Jennings.
Lopez would like to fight recognized division champion Israel Vazquez, who was in attendance at the fight.
"Obviously, I would like to fight Israel Vazquez," Lopez said. "He is best in the division and until I beat him I do not think I am best at 122. I know there are other champions at 122, but I feel Vazquez would be best for me."
Ortiz smokes Resto
Rising junior welterweight prospect Victor Ortiz (23-1-1, 18 KOs) wasted little time in blowing out Jeff Resto (22-3, 13 KOs), knocking him down three times and stopping him at 1:19 of the second round.
Despite having 24 fights before facing Ortiz, Resto had never faced a southpaw until Saturday night. It looked that way.
Ortiz dropped New York's Resto, 31, twice in the opening round, nailing him with a straight left that knocked him down seconds into the fight and giving him a bloody nose. Seconds later, Resto went down again from another left hand to the face.
Ortiz continued the assault in the second round, knocking Resto down again with a right uppercut. Although Resto beat the count, referee Russell Mora called it off.
Ortiz, 21, of Oxnard, Calif., used to be promoted by Top Rank until he filed for bankruptcy in order to wrangle out of his contract. He signed with Golden Boy and his presence on the co-promoted card caused tension between Top Rank boss Bob Arum, culminating with Arum's media center tirade against Ortiz's co-managers, Shelly Finkel and Rolando Arrelano.
• Brooklyn, N.Y., super middleweight prospect Daniel Jacobs (13-0, 12 KOs) rolled to an easy second-round knockout of Victor Lares (14-4, 3 KOs).
Jacobs, 21, dropped Lares with a right hand at the end of a flurry and, although he beat the count, referee Jay Nady elected to call it off.
Jacobs arrived in Las Vegas on Thursday because his fiancée gave birth to their first child, a boy, earlier that day. Jacobs was in the delivery room and left the hospital for the airport about a half hour later in order to make his flight.
• In his first scheduled eight-rounder, Philadelphia junior welterweight prospect Danny Garcia (10-0, 7 KOs) cruised to a lopsided decision against late replacement Jose Alfredo Lugo (10-6-1, 5 KOs) of Mexico.
Garcia's original opponent, Francisco Rios Gil, dropped out a few days ago but it didn't matter. Garcia, faster, more skilled and more accurate with his punches, stalked Lugo and landed flashy combinations to roll to the decision, 80-82, 80-72, 79-73.
"I wanted to come out tonight and show the fans that I'm a complete fighter," Garcia said. "The experience I'm getting is preparing me for the next level. I'm going to continue to work hard and work my way up the rankings."
• Lightweight prospect Adrien Broner (5-0, 4 KOs) of Cincinnati needed only 1:14 to blow out Scott Furney (3-7-1, 1 KO). Broner dropped him in the opening few seconds and then battered him with shots until referee Robert Byrd stopped it.
Broner, who fought on the Ricky Hatton-Paulie Malignaggi undercard in Las Vegas two weeks ago, will keep up his busy schedule. He'll be back in action Dec. 26 in his hometown and again on Jan. 24 in Los Angeles on the Antonio Margarito-Shane Mosley undercard.
Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.