Tough McVey was 'game to the core'
Were he a fighter of this era, Sam McVey would be a pay-per-view attraction. During the early 1900s, however, African-American fighters of McVey's caliber were avoided at all costs, even by boxers of their own race.
Everyone knows the wonderful contribution made to boxing by black fighters, from the greats to the hard-working contenders. Yet some have become hidden behind the mists of time, names known only to the historians or the hard-core followers of the sport. One such fighter was the old-time heavyweight contender Sam McVey.McVey, who lived in Oxnard, Calif., was one of a group of black heavyweights, including Sam Langford, Joe Jeanette and Harry Wills, who could not get a title fight in the ...
Read full story
BLACK HISTORY MONTH
The two-part ESPN Original Production of a Dan Klores film will air Sunday, March 16, and Monday, March 17, at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN. For more information, visit espn.com/blackmagic.
• Jackson: The Young Guns of Chicago softball
• Nelson: Angels GM Reagins earns his way
• Dyer: Catching up with Christian Okoye
• Hunt: Moore didn't see himself as pioneer
• Adande: Tisdale relishes act as musician
• Hammann: Mavs scout has Senegal connection
• Tanber: Agents address challenges in business
• Lapchick: Charlie Scott's Tobacco Road odyssey
• Tanber: Solomon works for MLB diversity
• Dyer: Robeson a vibrant presence at Rutgers
• NYC sees resurgence in amateur boxing
• Buckheit: Catching up with Dominique Dawes
• Kreidler: Inside Webber's historical collection
• Drehs: Payton's legacy raises donor awareness
• Buckheit: Travis Grant a scoring machine
• E-ticket: Kareem's 'On the Shoulders of Giants'
• Keri: Bob Gibson's season for the ages
• McNeil: Joe Louis a reflection of his era
• Lapchick: College athletes courageous
• Houston: McVey was tough, 'game to the core'
• Voepel: Parents, fellow coaches inspired Stringer
• Schlabach: Teammates restore Patterson's place
• O'Neil: No easy solution to plight of HBCUs
• O'Neil: A weekend on Alcorn State's tough road
• Rittenberg: Edmonds first to monogram at ND
• Weiner: Macalester's Hudson no longer forgotten
• Griffin: Jack Trice a strong figure at ISU
• Weiner: OU gymnast raises the bar
• Sylvester: Moments changes lives
• Adande: Trail Blazers live the 'Dream'
• Rhoden: Williams reached NFL promised land
• Dyer: Soccer player overcomes adversity
• Barkow: Spiller on a mission