Handicapping the Derby field
The Derby post-position draw is a little older than old school; it's like before technology, with wooden boxes and sheets of paper and nameplates and hooks holding sway.
There's a double-type-draw before positions are registered.
This one was seemingly from Central Casting, with the horses with rail appeal and curb appeal, the best of the group, going before the wishful runners.
No gate spots look like trouble spots, outside of Musket Man looking at an avalanche from 2, with ...
Read full story
THE TRIPLE CROWN
Belmont Park • June 6 • ABC 5 p.m. ET
More Triple Crown
• Summer Bird upsets Belmont | Gallery
• Mine That Bird 2-1 favorite at Belmont
• Borel: 'We're going to win it'
• Mine That Bird turns in 'perfect' work
• Rachel Alexandra poses for Vogue
• Summer Bird puts in sharp work
• Desormeaux takes another shot
• 'Rachel' wins 134th Preakness Stakes
• Mine That Bird upsets Derby | Gallery
• Rachel Alexandra dominates Oaks | Gallery
• NTRA.com: Ky. Derby | Preakness | Belmont
• Summer Bird takes Belmont Stakes
• Borel denied | Desormeaux elated
• Cronley: State of the Union
• Novak: Birds of a feather
• Moran: Belmont tests champions, humility
• Forde: Borel's star rising | Questionable move
• Novak: Easy to fall in love with racing
• Cronley: Belmont Q&A from the e-mail circuit
• Novak: Summer Bird ready to fly | Pressure
• Plonk: Hall of Fame calls Calvin
• Jay Hovdey blog