Remembering 'Smokin'' Joe Frazier
Updated: November 8, 2011, 6:25 PM ET
Former undisputed heavyweight champion, Joe Frazier, died Monday night from his bout with liver cancer. Join other fans from SportsNation as we remember this boxing legend. Share your thoughts below.
- DizzyD427: "Part of Joe's incredible legacy is you can't talk about Ali's without the name Frazier being mentioned ... Joe is, and always will be an icon. RIP Champ."
- Rocco1022: "The Ali - Frazier rivalry epitomized an era. An era that we will never see again. The Ali legend would not be, if not for Smokin' Joe. I had the chance to play golf with him once ... nice man. A true legend has passed. Joe, you will be missed ..."
- PRBoxing: "RIP Joe Frazier, a great warrior who gave us many thrills in his career. Always humble and a good man. Sad day for boxing ..."
- blumaj: "Hard for sports fans 40 and younger to understand just how big of an event a heavyweight championship fight was. The Ali-Frazier fights were among the top ten sporting events of the 70's. Great fighter/great fights. RIP."
- natskivna: "The golden era of boxing was the 1970's with Muhammad Ali, "Smokin" Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Ken Liston, Ernie Shavers, Leon Spinks, Floyd Patterson, Jerry Quarry, Ron Lyle, Chuck Wepner and more ... And Smokin Joe was my favorite. His style was so tough guy ... always forward ... always looking to nail you with that gigantic left hook ..."
- Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) RIP Smokin Joe. My thoughts and prayers go out to to the Frazier family. We lost an all time great tonight.
- Mike Tyson (@MikeTyson) Today is a sad yet remarkable day as we mourn the death of boxing legend Joe Frazier & honor him by celebrating his amazing accomplishments. Frazier and Ali were quintessential the apex of pedigree fighting in which each man would not give an inch until they were dead.
- Shane Mosley (@SugarShaneM) Joe Frazier one of the greatest heavy weight champion ever. RIP
- Miguel Angel Torres (@MiguelTorresMMA) Rest in Peace Joe Frazier. The memories and history you have left us will live on forever, thank you.
- Rasual Butler (@RasualButler45) R.I.P. smoking Joe Frazier! Although he was born in south Carolina he represents what philly was about grit, toughness and determination!
- LeBron James (@KingJames) R.I.P Joe Frazier! Heavyweight Great!! One of the best! #SmokingJoe
- Shawne Merriman (@shawnemerriman) It was a honor to have Joe Frazier on the sidelines for some games in San Diego a memory that ill never forget
- Chris Mack (@CoachChrisMack) RIP Smokin' Joe Frazier. Warrior. Champion. Toughness. Was there a better boxing rivalry than Ali/Frazier?
- Kurt Warner (@kurt13warner) Condolences 2 the Frazier family! I remember when Smokin Joe spoke 2 our team in Philly the year we won the SuperBowl! #legend
- Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) Joe Frazier you were a icon and pioneer for people like me. Inspiring and loved. Your presence will be missed.
- Tony Fernandes (@tonyfernandes) RIP to smoking joe frazier. Some of the greatest fights with ali. When boxing was easier with one world champion. Sport has lost it since
- Ric Bucher (@RicBucher) My parents, blue collar to the core, were big Smokin' Joe fans. Recall as a kid them listening to an Ali-Frazier fight on the radio. #RIPJoe