United tops Chelsea to remain perfect
Manchester Uniter's 3-1 win over Chelsea on Sunday, combined with Manchester City's draw at Fulham, leaves United with the sole unblemished record in the Premier League this season. Here are a few statistical notes on United's victory.
• With his goal Sunday, Wayne Rooney became the second player to score in the opening five games of a Premier League season, joining Jose Antonio Reyes, who scored one goal in each of Arsenal's first five matches in 2004.
• Nani made his 100th Premier League appearance on Sunday, and he now has 18 goals and 33 assists in league play. By comparison, Cristiano Ronaldo had 19 goals and 12 assists in his first 100 league games for United. However, Ronaldo was only 21 at the time, while Nani will turn 24 in November.
• Manchester United has won back-to-back league games over Chelsea for the first time since 1987-88. Manchester United also has won four straight games against Chelsea in all competitions (two EPL, two Champions League). The last time Manchester United won four consecutive meetings with Chelsea was a quartet of Division 1 games from 1959 to '61.
• Manchester United equaled a club record by winning its 18th straight home league game, matching a mark previous set at Bank Street from 1904 to 1905, when United played in Division 2. United also has won its first five games of a Premier League season for the first time since 1985, when the Red Devils won their opening 10 Division 1 games but proceeded to finish the season in fourth place.
• In a losing effort, Juan Mata was excellent with his corner kicks. He completed four corner kicks into the penalty box, the most by any Chelsea player this season. Not coincidentally, he also created five scoring chances, also the most for a Chelsea player this season.
• As a team, Chelsea created 13 scoring chances with passes, more than it has in any match since Nov. 20, 2010 (against Birmingham). One reason Chelsea did not convert on all of these chances was Fernando Torres. Torres had four off-target shots against United, two more than any other Chelsea player in a match this season.