Dempsey breaks Brian McBride's record
With his 37th career Premier League goal Monday against Liverpool, Clint Dempsey broke Brian McBride's American record of 36 EPL goals. Here are five more notes on Dempsey's rise to the top of the American chart:
• Dempsey needed 161 games to score his 37 league goals. That's 14 more matches than McBride played en route to scoring 36. The only other American with double-digit Premier League goals is Roy Wegerle, who tallied 13 times with Blackburn and Coventry City between 1992 and 1994.
• McBride and Dempsey were teammates at Fulham for two seasons, before McBride returned home to finish his career with Chicago. Carlos Bocanegra also scored eight goals with Fulham, meaning 77 of the 128 EPL goals scored by American internationals have been struck for Fulham. Everton is next on the list with 15 goals, led by Joe-Max Moore with eight.
• Dempsey's goal was his third league goal against Liverpool. He is the only American to score a Premier League goal against Liverpool, and all three goals have come at Craven Cottage. He has struck against 18 different Premier League teams, and his six goals against Wigan are his most against any club.
• Dempsey has six career multigoal games in Premier League play. McBride, with five, is the only other American with more than one. Claudio Reyna, Moore and Wegerle each posted a single Premier League brace.
• Dempsey scored 12 Premier League goals last season. He led Fulham in scoring for the third time and became the first American to score double-digit goals in a single Premier League season, topping McBride's twice-accomplished mark of nine, in both the 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons with Fulham.