Inside College Hockey Chat
Send your questions now and join INCH every Thursday at 1:30 p.m. ET.
INCH Archive: Chats
Mike Eidelbes (1:31 PM)
Happy holidays...welcome once again to another visit to The Show from Inside College Hockey.
Mike Eidelbes (1:32 PM)
We've got a lot of great questions in the hopper right now with holiday tournaments and the World Juniors on the horizon, so let's get right to it!
Rob (Dayton, OH)
Will the new facility at Miami(OH) significantly help them in recruiting against say Ohio St. and Michigan?
Mike Eidelbes (1:34 PM)
That's a very good question. The new facility will certainly help Miami -- based on the plans, renderings and photos I've seen to date, it'll be a beautiful rink and when Miami takes on a project like this, they get it right the first time.
Mike Eidelbes (1:35 PM)
That said, you can't recruit on just a facility alone. Players want a chance to develop and move on the the next level, compete for championships and NCAA Tourney appearances. Miami is in that position right now. The new building just adds another element to what Enrico Blasi has going down there.
Gov. Doyle (WI)
Are the Badgers the best team in college hockey right now? How good are Pavelski and Earl?
Mike Eidelbes (1:39 PM)
Hey, Guv. Can you do something about a speeding ticket I got a couple years ago? Anyway, Pavelski and Earl have been as good as any duo in the college game thus far...and that includes Sertich and Sterling at CC. They complement each other quite well -- the flashy Earl and Pavelski, a more workmanlike player whose puck skills are excellent. We've got Bucky at No. 1 right now. They may not be the best team, but they've been the most consistent.
Richie (Natick MA)
Other than Kessel, who are you most interested to see for the U.S. at World Juniors?
Mike Eidelbes (1:41 PM)
Three things to keep an eye on: * The U.S. defense - tons of talent back there with Jack Johnson, Eric Johnson, Lee, Mitera, etc. Can that make up for the lack of WJC experience?
Mike Eidelbes (1:42 PM)
* Goaltending - Cory Schneider played well last night in an exhibition win against Sweden. Jeff Frazee also played well. It's the U.S. team's biggest question mark.
Mike Eidelbes (1:43 PM)
* As much as people have focused on Kessel, the hottest forward on the U.S. team might be T.J. Oshie from North Dakota. He's been lights out over the past 3-4 weeks.
Tucker (Waterville ME)
Do you think the University of Vermont can maintain its moment in its new conference, Hockey East?
Mike Eidelbes (1:45 PM)
I do. They've got a fairly balanced scoring attack, a good corps of veteran players led by Leisenring and Sifers, and solid goaltending with Fallon and Russell. As it stands right now, one very good team will not advance to the Fleet Center in March.
Dick (South Williams, MN)
If you were commissioner of all of college hockey and could appoint one team to move to CHA, who would it be and why?
Mike Eidelbes (1:49 PM)
I don't want to offend anyone by naming a specific team, but look at it this way: if you're a perennial also-ran in one of the established leagues, wouldn't it behoove you to give the CHA a try? You'd likely be competitive instantly and have a solid chance to compete for an NCAA Tournament berth annually? Isn't that better than losing to, say, Minnesota by seven goals four times a year?
Top to bottom what is the strongest conference in college hockey this year?
Mike Eidelbes (1:52 PM)
I's say the WCHA just because they've got five of the country's top 12 teams as far as rankings are concerned. St. Cloud and UMD are played relative good hockey and Anchorage is always a dangerous team.
Nate (Stoughton, WI)
Who would you pick for the leading candidate of the Hobey Baker Award right now?
Mike Eidelbes (1:54 PM)
Right now I'm leaning toward Wisconsin's Brian Elliott, but I really like Matt Carle from Denver and Boston College's Chris Collins.
Aaron (Garner, nc)
With players like Conroy, Cole, Gionta, Drury, St. Louis, etc. making the olympic teams, do you feel that going the college hockey route is a more accepted training ground for the NHL than it was in the past?
Mike Eidelbes (1:57 PM)
No question, and it's going to continue to be that way because of the new rule changes in the NHL (which have been in effect for a couple years). I also think the new style of play puts a premium on players with the ability to think and make quick, smart decisions. Mike Weaver, an All-American d-man at Michigan State who is finally getting an extended chance with the L.A. Kings after five years in the AHL, is a great example.
Mike Eidelbes (1:58 PM)
time for one more...
Chris (Bemidji, MN)
Who's got the best mascot in College Hockey?
Mike Eidelbes (2:00 PM)
Assuming you refer to costumed mascots, give me Goldy Gopher. "Spin your head" never gets old. Bananas at Maine is pretty good, too. And one throwback -- UMD's Maroon Loon. I think he used to skate on stilts.
Mike Eidelbes (2:01 PM)
That's it for this week. Enjoy the holidays! Thanks for tuning in!
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMHall of Famer 'Nique
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMSweetSpot's Schoenfield
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 12:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMBoxers Macklin, Tapia
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on NCAAW
- 2:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMDolphins with Walker
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Matt Fortuna
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky