Chat with WVU's Jeremy Sheffey
Sheffey and the Mountaineers are off to a 4-0 start and are ranked fourth in the country. West Virginia is averaging over 41 points per game, while giving up under 12. Sheffey and the rest of his offensive line mates are paving the way as the Mountaineers are averaging nearly 300 yards per game on the ground.
Fifty-six of the teams 100 first downs have come on the ground. Fifteen of the teams 21 offensive touchdowns have come via the rush as well.
Go here to check out West Virginia's athletics home page.
Use the form below and send your questions in to Jeremy now and then join him Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. ET.
Buzzmaster (1:26 PM)
Hello! Dan got tied up but Jeremy Sheffey is joining to join us!
Jeremy Sheffey (1:27 PM)
Steve (San Diego, CA)
What were the issues causing blocking problems for Slaton during the ECU game? How are you working to resolve last games problems?
Jeremy Sheffey (1:28 PM)
There were a few issues but they are being resolved this week in our blocking schemes.
Andy, Huntington, WV
Dan,what do you think of the Big East having three teams ranked in the top 25 and two in the top 10?
Jeremy Sheffey (1:29 PM)
It's a great thing to see three teams in the Top 25. It shows that we are bouncing back the way we all expected to bounce back.
Mark Wycoff, NJ
Do you feel your ready when we have to go to Louisville. As a WVU Grad, I'm dissapointed in our schedule, I don't think it prepares us for bigger games. What is your thoughts?
Jeremy Sheffey (1:29 PM)
Actually, we feel we will prepared for any team. We are just focusing one game at a time and trying to get better each week.
Brad Given Indianapolis, IN
Is it hard to know who to block when Slaton or White break into one of those back and forth across the field jailbreak runs?
Jeremy Sheffey (1:30 PM)
It's all instictual. You just hit the first guy in the wrong-colored jersey.
how is everybody on the team handling all the pressure you guys are under. it looks like everyone is handeling it a lot better than we did a few years ago. good luck the rest of the season keep paving the road for steve. and beat louisville for us
Jeremy Sheffey (1:31 PM)
We are handling it better, yes, because of the maturity we have on this team now. It's different from what we had a few years ago.
Who do you think has been the unsung hero on the defense? I saw you guys play Maryland and that #1 was all over the field. Who is that?
Jeremy Sheffey (1:32 PM)
Tough question. We have a lot of guys. The whole defensive line does their job really well.
Richie: St. Albans, WV
Do you think the winner of the big Nov. 2 game with Louisville will be able to overcome USC or Ohio State to play for the national championship?, assuming "the winner" (which will be WVU) and those two teams go undefeated.
Jeremy Sheffey (1:33 PM)
We'll just have to see how the season goes and we'll figure that out. No way to know right now.
DA (Charleston, WV)
Besides the obvious, how does this '06 team differ from the '04 team with equally high expectations? I'm goning to book that room in Glendale, no pressure now :)
Jeremy Sheffey (1:34 PM)
Probably the continuity between the playrs. We are all very good friends and we get along better. We have great leaderhip on this team.
Willie - Richmond, VA
Bent Willies or DJ's - your choice
Jeremy Sheffey (1:34 PM)
Can't say. I don't go out much.
joey dusci wheeling,west virginia
what's the biggest key for blocking for steve slaton and do you think are defense can hold a ohio state or notre dame offense?
Jeremy Sheffey (1:35 PM)
He makes our job easy. He can make it difficult, but most of the times he makes it easier. We don't have to hold our blocks as long because he is so fast.
Fox Cincinnati, OH
Congrats on the great season so far! Any thoughts of "running the table" being talked about in the locker room? Best of luck and crush Pitt!
Jeremy Sheffey (1:37 PM)
We don't talk about that at all. We just focus week to week.
John waldwick, nj
I'm worried about any injury to Slaton. If he goes down it doesn't appear to be anyone who can replace even 80% of his skills. We looked bad in the few series he was out against ECU, are you as worried as I?
Jeremy Sheffey (1:41 PM)
You don't think about that stuff too much as an OL but we have plenty of talented guys who can step in and take over. Jason Colson is just one of a lot of talented position guys we have on this team. Thanks for all the great questions. Go Mountaineers!
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMHall of Famer 'Nique
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMSweetSpot's Schoenfield
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 12:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMBoxers Macklin, Tapia
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on NCAAW
- 2:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMDolphins with Walker
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Matt Fortuna
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky