Chat with Rob Neyer

Auto Update: Off
SportsNation
Welcome to The Show! Rob Neyer is stopping by Friday at 1 p.m. ET as part of our ongoing Hot Stove Heaters chats! Check back each day for a new topic and a new chat! Take it away, Rob!

How old are Wrigley Field and Fenway Park? Since they opened -- Fenway in 1912, Wrigley in 1916 -- dozens of stadiums have been built and then torn down. Currently, Dodger Stadium is the third-oldest ballpark in the majors (or the fourth-oldest if you count the rebuilt -- and soon to be demolished -- Yankee Stadium); compared to Wrigley and Fenway, though, Dodger Stadium is shiny and new. Both of the old yards, then, serve as baseball time machines, the only two of their kind. But which is better?

The Case for Fenway

I've seen a lot of games in a lot of ballparks, and I will confidently report that the atmosphere in and around Fenway on game day is like nothing else you'll experience. In the wake of the Red Sox's recent success, the fans might not be quite as knowledgable as they used to be, but they still know they're stuff and they're still obsessed with their Sox. If you want to visit a ballpark and simply be immersed in the game, Fenway's your ballpark. With the imminent demise of Yankee Stadium, Fenway also becomes our most historical ballpark, where the ghosts of Babe Ruth and Ted Williams still roam the outfield. Fenway, little changed in the last 75 years, hosted two of baseball's most famous homers: Carlton Fisk's Game 6 winner in the 1975 World Series and, just three years later, Bucky $@%#& Dent's pop fly that somehow managed to clear the Green Monster. And of course, since then all the Red Sox have done is win a couple of World Series.

The Case for Wrigley

Even more than Fenway, Wrigley is substantially the same as it's been for many decades. Like Fenway, Wrigley does have its share of seats with lousy views, but there aren't any seats in Wrigley as bad as those in Fenway's right-field corner. To the organization's credit, there still is very little commercial signage inside Wrigley Field. The ballpark certainly isn't pristine (as it was a few years ago), but compared to Fenway it's Antarctica. Wrigley's also got the ivy, which must rank as the most attractive single feature in any major league stadium. What's more, Wrigley feels more like a neighborhood ballpark than Fenway; with Engine 78 across the street and the Red Line within sight, Wrigleyville is a place more than the streets surrounding Fenway will ever be.

The Choice

Which do I prefer? I'm not saying quite yet, and in fact I don't know that I know, yet. In the interest of full disclosure, though, I probably should mention that I once saw 81 games at Fenway in one season. And with that, let's pick our favorite old ballpark!

Vote: Which ballpark is better?

Archive: Hot Stove Heaters

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.