"That's Debatable" with Jayson Stark

Auto Update: Off
SportsNation
Welcome to The Show! On Monday, ESPN.com senior MLB writer Jayson Stark will drop by at 1 p.m. ET for the debut of our MLB "That's Debatable" chat.

Monday's Topic: Which contending team has more to worry about after the first week of the season, Detroit or Colorado?

Jayson Stark: NOBODY is in trouble yet. Not real trouble, anyway. Too early. I don't think there is a single team out there that has made a definitive statement in the first week about what it is or isn't. Not one.

So let's remember that. What we're debating here is which team is in MORE trouble? The Tigers or Rockies? Let's examine the evidence:

THE CASE FOR THE TIGERS
History sure doesn't work in their favor. No team has ever started 0-6 and played in a World Series. And only two teams - the '95 Reds and '74 Pirates - have ever recovered from an 0-6 start to make the postseason.

THE CASE FOR THE ROCKIES
Let's be honest. This may have been a dominant team for 22 games last September and October but that's about it. Throw out that 21-1 streak, and the Rockies are 75-79 since Opening Day 2007.

THE VERDICT
I'm big on track records. And the Tigers have more players, and more elements of their team, not living up to long track records than the Rockies do. Colorado plays in a division where three other teams can win. The Tigers play in a division where only one other team, the Cleveland Indians, has as much talent as they do.

So while I think the Tigers have a legitimate reason to worry about their pitching in general and their bullpen in particular, I've concluded the Rockies are the team in more trouble.

Your thoughts?

Every week, we'll give you the topic and then we'll have one of our writers stopping by to debate the issue with you. To suggest a topic for "That's Debatable," go here. Or check out the full archive.

Stark Archive: Chats | Columns

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.