Chat with Andy Petree
Petree, a NASCAR veteran who has been a driver, car owner and two-time NASCAR NEXTEL Cup-winning crew chief for the late Dale Earnhardt, made his television debut in 2007 as an analyst on ESPN and ABC's NASCAR coverage.
The former short-track driver turned owner has experienced his share of the ins and outs of the sport. Petree occasionally raced from 1988 to 2004, with career-best finishes of 16th in the NASCAR Busch Series (1998) and 10th in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series (2003).
Send your questions now and join Petree right here in The Show on Monday at 1:30 p.m. ET!
Do you think the chase is set up well? Do you think 10 races might be too long?
Andy Petree (1:43 PM)
Ten races is ideal. I think ten races are perfect. With then races, as a driver you have time to gain, lose, or maintainmom.
Chad (Cascade, MD)
Can Jeff will the cup?
Andy Petree (1:46 PM)
He can. The problem right now with Jeff is that he has no momentum They haven't won a regular season race. Jimmie Johnson has all the momentum right now. But Jeff still has time to change that and get some momentum.
Andy, Who do you think might be a darkhorse in the chase.
Andy Petree (1:47 PM)
Denny Hamlin. He is teamates with Kyle and he has been racing really well.
Kerry (Portland, ME)
Did Clint Bowyer impress you with how he was able to make the chase?
Andy Petree (1:48 PM)
Yes he did. It was easy. David Regan put up a really good fight, but Clint pulled it out. I was impressed.
scott ( tinley park)
Do you think the Chasers should qualify together like the go or go homers.
Andy Petree (1:49 PM)
I like the concept. But I don't think that NASCAR will go for that kind of a change, but it's not a bad idea.
What's the matter with Montoya? Just seems that team has nothing going for it right now.
Andy Petree (1:51 PM)
I think Montoya is a talented driver. I talked to his crew cheir and he thinks they're onto somethings that might turn it around. If they do, I think we will see Montoya in victory lane.
How impressed are you with the way Jimmie Johnson finished the regular season?
Andy Petree (1:53 PM)
I'm very impressed with everything they do. I'm not suprised tough. This is a team that really knows how to shine when all the cards are on the table. I'm impressed, but not suprised.
Do you think anyone that's gotten a win on the season should be allowed into the chase? Kasey Kahne would be in if we did that.
Andy Petree (1:54 PM)
No, the rules were set in the begining of the year. The top 12 point men make it and everybody knew that going into the season. It's all about scoring points and being consistent. I don't think they should be allowed in for just winning a race.
Alan ( Mokena)
Do you feel that some team owners might be rushing young talent up thru the sport.
Andy Petree (1:57 PM)
I think there is a temptation to do that. Jeff Gorgon kind of started this. Joey Lagono is a young talent showing that he is worthy of it. But if you get in as a youngster and don't do well, it's hard for them to come back from that.
If you could take one crew chief to start a team, who would it be.
Andy Petree (1:59 PM)
Chad Knaus, Jimmie Johnson's crew chief.
keith (johnson city)
do you think jr needs to be a little more aggresive like his dad to win the chase
Andy Petree (2:01 PM)
I think he was plenty aggressive yesterday, but over all I think he is aggressive enough. If I had any advice for Jr., I would tell him to work on his physical conditioning. It's hard to race these cars and I think that conditioning will help him have a good race from start to finish.
Scott (tinley park)
With the economy lagging do you see any teams folding or cutting back that are not obvious to casual fans
Andy Petree (2:04 PM)
Thats a great question. What I see is the fields of the races getting smaller. I don't think it will be quite as hard to make the field next year, because not as many cars will so up.
Dave (Columbus, OH)
Do you think the 24 team will make a run at the Cup or remain mediocre? I haven't seen anything exciting about the 24 car this year at all.
Andy Petree (2:05 PM)
I think that you might see the 24 car win a races or two in the chase, but I don't see them as a title contender.
Justin Boone NC
It seems that Smoke really wants to win but just kepts coming up short. When do you think he will break through
Andy Petree (2:06 PM)
He could break through this weekend at New Hampshire. He always has raced well there and I think it could happen as early as this weekend.
Andy Petree (2:07 PM)
Thanks for all the great questions. I look forward to chatting with you again.
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 11:00 AMNoleNation's David Hale
- 12:00 PMNFL with Dan Graziano
- 1:00 PMSweetSpot's Schoenfield
- 1:00 PMCubs, Sox with Levine
- 2:00 PMNFL blogger Kevin Seifert
- 2:00 PMGeauxTigerNation's Laney
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 2:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 2:00 PMNASCAR with Newton
- 3:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNFL with James Walker
- 4:00 PMHornsNation's Strickland
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMDawgNation's David Ching
- 12:00 PMYanks with Wally Matthews
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMDallas' Jean-Jacques Taylor
- 1:30 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 3:00 PMFantasy NASCAR Focus
- 4:00 PMGatorNation's Mike DiRocco
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 12:00 PMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMNFL with Paul Kuharsky
- 12:00 PMWolverineNation's Rothstein
- 12:00 PMTideNation's Scarborough
- 12:00 PMBraves' P Craig Kimbrel
- 12:00 PMMets with Adam Rubin
- 1:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 1:00 PMNFL blogger Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMJohn Oreovicz on Indy 500
- 1:00 PMGiants with Youngmisuk
- 2:00 PMNASCAR with Terry Blount
- 2:00 PMJets with Rich Cimini
- 2:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 2:30 PMIndyCar's Ed Carpenter
- 3:00 PMBoxer Delvin Rodriguez
- 3:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 4:00 PMFootball Scientist KC Joyner