Chat with Major League Gamer Roy
Brown is a member of the professional gaming team, Instinct. Possessing arguably the best shot in Halo 3, "Roy's" talents have propelled his team to the top tier of Major League Gaming. Instinct recently underwent a major roster change, adding MLG veteran Walshy and 2007 1v1 Champion, Soviet to the team. The new Instinct continued their consistent play with a great second place finish in the recent MLG Toronto competition.
Send your questions for Roy now and join The Show at 4 p.m. ET on Friday!
Buzzmaster (3:58 PM)
Roy is here!
Roy (3:58 PM)
Hi to all you Instinct fans out there!
Will Fleming (Orlando, FL)
So Roy, what team are you wanting to play the most and why?
Roy (4:00 PM)
I would say Str8 Rippin. We are out to get them since they are the only team to beat us last tournament.
to compete with the top teams what does instinct,as a team,need to improve on in slayer matches.
Roy (4:01 PM)
We feel that we need to improve on playing more selfishly. We tried to help each other out too much in Tornoto,which hurt us. But we only lost by 5-10 kills to most players, so we feel that if we make a few adjustments here and there that we can be just as good at slayers as we are at objective.
Jibro (South Park, PA)
In your opinion, who was a better add to your team, the brains of Walshy, or the BR and slaying prowess of soviet?
Roy (4:03 PM)
It is a really hard question to answer. They are both equally great additions. Walshy's strategies are uncomparable. No one else can come up with the stuff he does. I look up to him more than anyone out there. And Soviet is one of the top 3 slayers in the game. So they were both great pickups in my opinion.
Joe, New York
how did your play style change when your team acquired Walshy
Roy (4:05 PM)
I feel like my play style stayed about the same. I feel that I have stayed aggressive, and my new teammates were as aggressive as I was. I feel with my old teammates they were aggressive at times, while Walsh and Soviet are always aggressive and I think that has been one of the keys to our success.
Tyler W (Athens, WV)
How did you get the gamertag Roy?
Roy (4:06 PM)
Pretty easy. I was younger, during the Halo 1 days, around the age of 10, and there was a Starbucks commercial where they chanted Roy, Roy, Roy and I thought it was pretty catchy so I went with that and it has stuck with me since then.
have you ever had one of those "not halo days" like when your just not killing people, or your making bad decisions, what do you do to turn that around?
Roy (4:08 PM)
Yeah I think everyone has those days, where you are not playing well and nothing is going right. There is not much you can do; you just have to refocus the next day and realize how good you are. I think it is all mental. You need to refocus and realize that you are that good, and usually it will all comeback and you will play better that next day or next game.
Jack (Denver, CO)
Do you feel like your team has the drive and talent to defeat Str8 Rippin in Dallas?
Roy (4:10 PM)
I do feel like we do. This is the most dedicated team I have ever been on. Everyone wants to practice as much as they can. And not only are we putting a lot of time into practicing, we are also communicating well and figuring out what we need to work on. We have Soviet who is a premier slayer, and I thought in Toronto he played really well, while not playing completely up to his standard. In Dallas team better watch out.
So how much Halo do you play per day, on average?
Roy (4:11 PM)
Usually about 5 days a week, I will play 3-4 hours with my team. And then we have two days off. But I would say I go about 16-20 hours a week.
How often do you play 1 v 1 against your borther and how has it helped you both develop as players?
Roy (4:12 PM)
We do not play as much anynmore, but we used to play out, and I would always win, of course. It helps because we play on LAN, and it is good because it gets you more adjusted to lan.
Wow I remember that Starbucks commercial. Love how they did it to "eye of the tiger." Hasn't been topped yet.
Randall (Tampa FL)
When did you know you were on another skill level than the average gamer?
Roy (4:15 PM)
I did not really have a good idea until I went to my first tournament, which I believe was in St. Louis, and I went with my brother and friends, and we played well and got noticed by a few players including Fear Itself. We got approached and teammed up and then went to Charlotte, as a risk, and ended up getting 4th. It is very hard to judge how good you are online, so it was not until I went to a tournament that I realized I could compete with other top players.
Roy (4:16 PM)
Just want to give a shout out to Instinct fans and my teammates and brother. I hope we have another large fan base in Dallas. See you all there!
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMHall of Famer 'Nique
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMSweetSpot's Schoenfield
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 12:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMBoxers Macklin, Tapia
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on NCAAW
- 2:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMDolphins with Walker
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Matt Fortuna
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky