Insider Fantasy Top Performers chat!
We're calling them "Insider Fantasy Top Performers" and here's how it will work: After watching Sunday's games, as well as the Monday Night game, we'll ask some of the day's biggest stars to join us. These chats will be open to all ESPN.com users, but only Insiders are eligible to get their questions answered.
On Wednesday, Smith will talk about his team's upcoming playoff game Saturday against the Arizona Cardinals. Carolina earned the second seed in the NFC and a first round bye in the playoffs. During the regular season, Smith caught 78 passes for 1,421 yards. He finished the season with over 100 yards receiving in five of his last six games.
In order to ask your question, log in below, or join Insider today! In addition to access to these exclusive chats, Insiders get the most in-depth sports coverage on the web, tools that help them win their fantasy leagues and other great membership benefits.
(Editor's Note: Players participating in Insider chats have been compensated by ESPN.)
Come on back to chat on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. ET!
ESPN The Magazine Subscribers:
Activate your Insider account
Want to know more?
Buzzmaster (5:10 PM)
Steve is here!
Steve (St. Louis)
How proud were you of your alma mater Utah this year?
Steve Smith (5:11 PM)
I was happy. I took my eldest son to the Sugar Bowl and it was exciting to for both of us. All we heard in SEC country was how Utah had no chance, and it was nice to see the expression on those fans' faces after Utah delivered that Shalacking.
Steve, do you think there is anyone in the NFL that can cover you one-on-one?
Steve Smith (5:12 PM)
I think there may be a few guys. But this league is not really about one on one coverage like it used to be.
Terry (Rock Hill, SC)
Steve, love your blog but you have not updated since November! Do you find it harder to play on a wet field due to traction, or is that easier for you since the CB has it even worse backpeddling?
Steve Smith (5:14 PM)
It is actually harder for everyone. It does make it a little harder for the CB, but it takes a toll on your feet, which are working overtime. So no one really wins on the wet field. You both hurt, and you can get the ball stripped. And updates to the blog are coming!
Steve, who would you rather face, the Giants or Eagles?
Steve Smith (5:15 PM)
I do not think we are worried about facing anyone, but it would be nice to play the first NFC title game held at our home, which would then make it the Eagles. But if we have the chance to play either one, we will take either one.
Steve, who were the wide receivers you idolized growing up?
Steve Smith (5:16 PM)
John Taylor, Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper, Cris Carter, all the true greats of the late 80s and early 90s.
Steve, what do you think of the Cardinals secondery? Can they hold you down?
Steve Smith (5:17 PM)
We will find out on Saturday night.
Where would you draft yourself next year in a fantasy draft?
Steve Smith (5:18 PM)
I would draft myself in either the second or third round.
You were a running back and defensive back in high school. Did you ever want to be a RB or DB in the NFL?
Steve Smith (5:18 PM)
I wanted to be a RB, but not a DB.
What would you say has been the best game you have ever played?
Steve Smith (5:19 PM)
It would be in the Super Bowl...and winning it.
Would you call DeAngelo Williams a major Pro Bowl snub?
Steve Smith (5:21 PM)
No, not yet. A lot of the guys that got picked over him did the same thing that he did for a few years. We have a lot of Pro Bowl RBs in the league and you can't take all of them...it takes a year or two to get your chance to get in.
Steve, who do you think is the best corner in the nfl?
Steve Smith (5:23 PM)
The best I have played against so far is Nnamdi Asomugha.
Was that Giants game in week 16 as much fun to play in s it was to watch on tv? Because that game just looked like your typical great football game between two of the better and more physical teams in the league.
Steve Smith (5:24 PM)
It was awesome. It was a great game to play in. It was also cold, though.
What are you guys going to have to do to beat the Arizona Cardinals?
Steve Smith (5:24 PM)
Well the D needs to stop the passing game and if they can do that, the offense needs to capitalize on those opportunities they give us.
Steve Smith (5:25 PM)
Hope you all watch the game on Saturday, it should be a lot of fun. I hope we keep playing well. Happy New Year!
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Schlabach
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 1:30 PMPTI co-host Michael Wilbon
- 1:30 PMESPNChicago Bears Chat
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on WNBA
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMDolphins with Walker
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Adelson
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky