Chat with Rebecca Lobo
"February Frenzy" hits on Sunday, when ESPN2 will once again devote the afternoon programming schedule to coverage of women's basketball. Eight regionalized games will air during two telecast windows - 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. ET - for the biggest regular-season day in women's college basketball.
The Frenzy has been dedicated to promoting research of women's cancers and it will support The V Foundation through the Kay Yow/WBCA Cancer Fund. Fans can contribute to the Kay Yow/WBCA Cancer Fund through The V Foundation, either by calling 1-800-4JIMMYV, or going to JimmyV.org.
Lobo, who works women's basketball games for ESPN, helped her UConn team to a 35-0 record during her senior year. In addition to the team's 1995 national championship, Lobo also won that season's player of the year award. For her career, she averaged 16.9 points and 10.1 rebounds per game.
Send in your questions now and join Lobo at 12:30 p.m. ET on Friday!
Rebecca Lobo (12:32 PM)
I haven't done a chat in a very long time so I'm excited to be here. Let's get started!
Kevin, Norman OK
Do you think Oklahoma has what it takes this year to make it to the Final Four?
Rebecca Lobo (12:33 PM)
Without a question. They have the components to make it to the Final Four.
What happened to the Gators last night? Hangover from the Tennessee win?
Rebecca Lobo (12:34 PM)
I didn't see the game so I don't know what happen to the Gators last night. But if you let one player hit eight 3's on you then something must have been wrong with their perimeter defense.
Ray Easton, PA
Do you think this UConn squad could go undefeated? And if so, how would you match them up against the '98 Lady Vol squad that was also undefeated?
Rebecca Lobo (12:36 PM)
I do think they have a chance to go undefeated. In CT whenever there is that chance that the team could go undefeated, they compare them to the 2002 UConn team that also went undefeated. I really don't know how 2008 UConn team would be able to match up with the 1998 Lady Vols.
Shawn (Miami, FL)
How did you get involved with the Kay Yow Cancer Fund?
Rebecca Lobo (12:38 PM)
My mom is a 15 year breast cancer survivor and we both have been involved with the Jimmy V Foundation. For the past two years, we have been involved with the Kay Yow/WBCA Cancer Foundation.
April (Houston, TX)
Last year during February Frenzy, over $900,000 was raised for breast cancer research. How is this year going to be bigger and better than last year?
Rebecca Lobo (12:40 PM)
It's going to be up to people like you to make it bigger and better than last year. Donating money and time during the games will make a huge difference in somebody's life. ESPN family of networks are stepping up big with Think Pink and broadcasting eight games.
What was your greatest memory of Coach Yow?
Rebecca Lobo (12:42 PM)
Coach Yow met my mom about 10 years ago and every time I saw her after that, she always asked about how my mom was doing. Coach Yow is such a caring person in putting other before herself. She was always worried about how others are doing. She's just an all around wonderful person and we will all miss her.
Dan, New Brunswick NJ [via mobile]
Why does rutgers women keep losing even though they have mcdonalds all americans?
Rebecca Lobo (12:45 PM)
Because most of the All-Americans they have are young and inexperienced. It takes a while to learn Coach Stringer's system. Vaughn and Prince are great players as well and leaders but Rutgers depends on their freshman to play a lot on minutes. The good thing is that Price will be back next year and Rutgers should be back on track.
Tiffany (Hartford, CT)
What do you do to prepare for your job as a sideline reporter?
Rebecca Lobo (12:47 PM)
I read a lot of newspaper articles about the teams I'm covering. I talk to the players and coaches to get interesting information. It's funny going into a game as a sideline reporter because you only use about 10% of the stories that you find out from all the research.
What are the chances of you signing a one day contract to play with the Connecticut Sun - a la Nancy Lieberman???
Rebecca Lobo (12:48 PM)
(laughing) The chances are less than zero. I'm on 35 so maybe in 20 years I might try and come back for one game!
Rebecca Lobo (12:53 PM)
I'm really looking forward to this weekend's games. It's a nice tease to get us ready for the NCAA tournament. I'm really excited for the Hartford vs. Marist game that I will be doing this weekend. Please everybody, if you can take the time to donate to the Kay Yow/WBCA Cancer Fund. THINK PINK!
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMHall of Famer 'Nique
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMSweetSpot's Schoenfield
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 12:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMBoxers Macklin, Tapia
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on NCAAW
- 2:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMDolphins with Walker
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Matt Fortuna
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky