Chat with Paul Kruger
Kruger was a big part of the reason Utah finished the 2008 season undefeated. While playing in all 13 of the team's games, Kruger recorded 16.5 tackles for loss, while he had 61 total tackles. He led the team with 7.5 sacks and his seven pass break ups ranked second on the team.
According to Kruger's Scouts Inc.'s draft profile, he "possesses prototypical height with adequate bulk and room on his frame to get bigger. Shows very good top-end speed for the position ... A person of very good character. A hard worker and leader by example." According to Scouts Inc., Kruger is the seventh best DE in the draft and the 48th best overall player.
Send in your questions now, then join Kruger on Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. ET!
Buzzmaster (12:32 PM)
Paul will be here soon!
Paul Kruger (12:33 PM)
Glad to be on the chat. Hope you have some good questions.
While getting measured and weighed, you guys are basically standing around in your underwear....did you just feel like a piece of meat at that point?
Paul Kruger (12:34 PM)
100%. Yes it was one of those deals where you are on stage and examined from head to toe by hundreds of people, watching you and writing down info. You feel more or less like a piece of meat and you understand it since they are making a huge investment. So although you feel like a piece of meat, you understand why they are doing it.
Did Utah deserve a share of the national title?
Paul Kruger (12:35 PM)
Definitely. We were the only undefeated team and proved we could play with anyone in the nation. No team in the country could beat us. We all feel very confident that we deserved a title.
Rich (New Mexico)
The BCS: Dumb concept? Or the dumbest concept in the history of thought?
Paul Kruger (12:37 PM)
Haha I guess a dumb concept. I don't know. I am not an analyst and I am not an organizer of these types of events, but I do feel like teams deserve to at least show they should be there. When a team like Utah runs the table and then comes up somewhat empty handed it shows that something does need to change.
Was there one exercise or circuit you feel you could have performed better at?
Paul Kruger (12:38 PM)
I feel like my 40 yard dash time was a little slow and so I will redo that at Pro Day. But I feel I performed well at everything else.
Do you find the players get close during the combine experience, or do they try to psych each other out since you are all in competition with one another?
Paul Kruger (12:41 PM)
I feel like people become friends. Going through the experience I have, I have made great friends with people. I do not think anyone's out there to hurt someone else or back stab. Yes, you feel the competition but at the same time you want to have a good experience going through the thing and you do not want to have any regrets.
Do you think you could fit as a 3-4 DE or are you mostly being looked at teams that run a 4-3?
Paul Kruger (12:42 PM)
I am being looked at by teams that run the 3-4 defense. I think it is a spot I can succeed at and I look forward to showing coaches at Pro Day I have the speed and ability to be that guy.
What is the most intimidating part of the combine?
Paul Kruger (12:43 PM)
Either the interviews with the coaches or the medicals, because in both situations everything you say and do is being analyzed by at least 20 people. There is nothing you can really prepare for with the physical, since your body is your body. While with the interviews you can be prepared, but you never know what they will ask.
What is the most and least enjoyable part of the draft process?
Paul Kruger (12:45 PM)
Least enjoyable is the wait. You want to know where you are going and who wants you. The most enjoyable part is everything else. You are meeting great people, traveling and really getting to know what the NFL is all about. It is a very fun time in your life.
Len (St. Pete's)
How much pressure is there on guys to perform well at the combine?
Paul Kruger (12:46 PM)
The pressure is pretty intense. You prepare so much for one thing and it is a make or break deal. You prepare for two months and you have one time to show the results of all the training and dedication. So one slip can really make all that effort basically useless. And people still know you are trying your best, but they want to see that perfect run or jump or shuttle and you have to be ready on that day to do exactly what you have trained for that whole time. So it is a lot of pressure.
Ted, The SLC
When you meet up with players from U of Miami, will you tell them that the real "U" is Utah!!
Paul Kruger (12:47 PM)
Haha you know what, other players from other teams will put that in their face a little. But the fact that we had a great season last year, speaks for itself. Other people can argue over that, and it is fun to listen to that going on.
Paul Kruger (12:48 PM)
Thanks for the questions and hope you all watch the draft!
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 11:00 AMNoleNation's David Hale
- 12:00 PMNFL with Dan Graziano
- 1:00 PMSweetSpot's Schoenfield
- 1:00 PMCubs, Sox with Levine
- 2:00 PMNFL blogger Kevin Seifert
- 2:00 PMGeauxTigerNation's Laney
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 2:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 2:00 PMNASCAR with Newton
- 3:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNFL with James Walker
- 4:00 PMHornsNation's Strickland
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMDawgNation's David Ching
- 12:00 PMYanks with Wally Matthews
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMDallas' Jean-Jacques Taylor
- 1:30 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 3:00 PMFantasy NASCAR Focus
- 4:00 PMGatorNation's Mike DiRocco
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 12:00 PMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMNFL with Paul Kuharsky
- 12:00 PMWolverineNation's Jennings
- 12:00 PMTideNation's Scarborough
- 12:00 PMBraves' P Craig Kimbrel
- 12:00 PMMets with Adam Rubin
- 1:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 1:00 PMNFL blogger Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMJohn Oreovicz on Indy 500
- 1:00 PMGiants with Youngmisuk
- 2:00 PMNASCAR with Terry Blount
- 2:00 PMJets with Rich Cimini
- 2:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 2:30 PMIndyCar's Ed Carpenter
- 3:00 PMBoxer Delvin Rodriguez
- 3:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 4:00 PMFootball Scientist KC Joyner