Chat with Real Salt Lake's Kyle Beckerman
Beckerman and his Real Salt Lake squad faces Columbus Thursday in the ESPN MLS Game of the Week (9 p.m. ET, ESPN2).
The 2009 season will be Beckerman's second full season in Salt Lake. He came over to the team part of the way through the 2007 season. He has been playing in the MLS since the 2000. This will be his seventh season as a full time starter. The midfielder has 16 career goals and 19 assists.
Send in your questions now, then join Beckerman on Tuesday at 3 p.m. ET!
Kyle Beckerman (2:59 PM)
Hey everyone, thanks for joining me!
Jared, Los Angeles, CA
How long have you had dreadlocks?
Kyle Beckerman (2:59 PM)
I've been growing them for about 4 1/2, maybe 5 years now.
Fanny, Salt Lake City, Utah
How do you think the League has changed since you started playing in 2000?
Kyle Beckerman (3:01 PM)
Well it has gotten a lot more competitive, there are a lot of good players and now teams are consistently good. And there is a certain age group that has been pushed out and there is now a younger group. But the league is still growing and learning, learning from past mistakes. But it really has grown.
lisa San Fran
are the seattle fans deserving of all this attention? how was their crowd when you played them?
Kyle Beckerman (3:03 PM)
The crowd was great. They were really loud and they packed the stadium. every seat was taken, I think. They really love their team and they have gotten behind them. And even after the game people are wearing the jerseys and scarves and their success right off the bat will really help them.
Ariel (Houston, TX)
As a midfielder, you're obviously a box-to-box player. What kind of fitness do you do to keep in shape?
Kyle Beckerman (3:04 PM)
Well I think you want to do some box to box type running. There are different fitness things I do. But I also do short, quick fitness things, and mix in long distance exercises. Little things like that are needed. I also swim a lot to try and build my lungs up.
Andy (Fishers, IN)
Who had the greatest mustache you have ever seen?
Kyle Beckerman (3:06 PM)
The best mustache was either Pablo Mastroianni or Seth Tembly.
Since your club is returning the core group from last season, what can you improve upon going into the home opener?
Kyle Beckerman (3:08 PM)
I think the biggest thing is being together another season. We went through a lot last season together and that makes us stronger and hopefully we learned from our mistakes and we learned together. We created a style of play we enjoy and we kept a system together. So I think the extra year will help. I really believe that the teams that keep their cores are usually the better teams in the league. I am pretty excited about having most of our core back.
I will be at the game Thursday and I am looking forward to a win, what does the team need to do to get 3 points against the Crew?
Kyle Beckerman (3:09 PM)
Just play our style. When we play our best it is attractive attacking soccer which gets us a lot of chances at goal. We will look to play our best and if we do that I think we can score some goals. We need to quiet Schelotto and not give them free kicks near the box.
Sum up the Rocky Mountain Border war. Is it more intense having played for RSL and Colorado?
Kyle Beckerman (3:11 PM)
I don;t know. It is important to both teams. But mainly last year it was the first time when both teams were in a playoff race. So last year had the Cup and the playoffs on the line. And it is pretty biog for me, since I have won it each time. I would like to keep that going.
Seth Trembly, Denver, CO
You'd put my mustache up against Marcelo Balboa's? That's why we're boys!
Kyle Beckerman (3:11 PM)
Seth, get back to work!
Logan, Logan, UT
What is your favorite thing to do in Salt Lake when not playing soccer?
Kyle Beckerman (3:12 PM)
I like to play my guitar.
Tim, Fort Collins, CO
With MLS expanding to so many cities in the next few years, what do you see as a maximum -viable- number of franchises.
Kyle Beckerman (3:14 PM)
I guess, 20 or so. That way we could play everyone twice, home and away, and have a decently sized season. And that way you won't play one team four times and another team twice. So I think 20 would work well, which would give you 40 games per season like many other leagues.
Chad (Murray, UT)
Kyle is Seattle's turf the worst field in the MLS now? Isn't it worse
Kyle Beckerman (3:15 PM)
Nah it's not the worst, but any field with turf is bad for me. I do not think soccer should be played on turf. But what are you going to do? Was it the worst? Probably not, New York's may be the worst, but it is turf. I put them all in the same category.
Favorite spot in Boulder. Juanita's or the Attic?
Kyle Beckerman (3:16 PM)
I remember Juanita's but I have not been there in a while. I'll go with Juanita's.
Kyle Beckerman (3:17 PM)
Thanks for joining me today and I'll come back anytime!
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMHall of Famer 'Nique
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMSweetSpot's Schoenfield
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 12:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMBoxers Macklin, Tapia
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on NCAAW
- 2:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMDolphins with Walker
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Matt Fortuna
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky