Chat with Edwin Valero
Velero takes on Antonio Pitalua Saturday night on HBO PPV for the vacant WBC lightweight title. Valero enters the fight a perfect 24-0, winning all 24 via KO. Nineteen of the knockouts have come in the first round. Pitalua has a record of 46-3 and hasn't lost a fight since 2001.
Send in your questions now, then join Valero on Thursday at 2:45 p.m. ET!
Admin (2:50 PM)
Good Afternoon. Edwin is finishing up an interview and will be available to begin the chat right after that. We appreciate your patience. Please keep the questions flowing.
hey Valero, I hope you are ready for your fight. i bet my dad 10 bucks you would win, so don't let me down. I've been watching you fight on youtube, and i ask what will be different between those fights and this one?
Edwin Valero (3:09 PM)
The main difference can be for me that i will be fighting in a weight class that i feel more comfortable. I think i will come to the fight more solid and with more energy.
How many sparing partners do you go through in a week?
Edwin Valero (3:10 PM)
Every week we use 4 different ones. And we do it four days a week. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and always form a higher weight class than me
John Brown : (Brockton, Massachusetts)
What do you think of lightweight prospect Amir Khan and would you like to fight him in the future if you win your fight on Saturday?
Edwin Valero (3:15 PM)
Its always a possibility in a not so distant future. My promoters will take care of that. Perhaps in Europe at years end
Greg : (Houston TX)
Is true you got a tatto of the Venezuela Flag with Chavez face on it?
Edwin Valero (3:16 PM)
I have the venezuelan flag with the face of Chavez tattoed on my chest... yes, its true
I know that you had a severe motorcycle accident back in 2001. What did you learn from that accident, and who has it shaped you into the person you are today?
Edwin Valero (3:19 PM)
1st of all, the accident was not very serious. The problem is that some states in the US have laws that no fighter is allowed to fight is they have had any kind of brain injury, and that has brought some setbacks in my career but the accident itself was nothing serious. It thought me not to ever get back on a motorcycle, as a driver or passenger. I?ve stopped liking motorcycles. I?ve learned to wear a seat belt in a car and to care for mine and my family's safety
What is the best advice that you ever got?
Edwin Valero (3:21 PM)
Always keep your feet on the ground and never think your more than anyone else. Everyone goes up and down in this business. You have to remain humble. Dont ever believe that once you are a champion , you've got God by the balls. No one stays on top in this game for ever
At what age did you first start boxing?
Edwin Valero (3:21 PM)
13 years old
Who has been the biggest influence on your career?
Edwin Valero (3:21 PM)
Mi kids. For them I have done all I did, and I'll continue forward every day. Always for my family
Edwin Valero (3:24 PM)
I dont really have an idol quite honestly, but as a person in boxing, the venezuelan boxer Antonio Sarragoza. After boxing he became a lawyer, and he is very important in the public eye. I admire him very much. He was a World Champion and a great fighter.
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMHall of Famer 'Nique
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMSweetSpot's Schoenfield
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 12:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMBoxers Macklin, Tapia
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on NCAAW
- 2:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMDolphins with Walker
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Matt Fortuna
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky