Chat with Winky Wright
Wright faces Paul Williams (36-1) in a 12-round bout from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino in Las Vegas on Saturday. The fight can be seen live starting at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT on HBO.
Wright (51-4-1) enters the ring for just the first time in nearly two years. In his last fight, he lost for only the fourth time in his career when Bernard Hopkins stopped him with a 12-round decision. Wright had gone unbeaten in his previous 13 fights.
Send in your questions now and then join Wright at 3 p.m. ET on Tuesday!
James (Washingtion, DC)
How did you get the nickname Winky?
Winky Wright (3:09 PM)
It was given to me by my grandmother when I was about six months old.
James (Brooklyn, NY)
What has been the most memorable fight of your career?
Winky Wright (3:11 PM)
I would say the Felix Trinidad and Shane Mosley fights.
What's up Winky ...who was the one boxer who talked too much trash and lost to you?
Winky Wright (3:12 PM)
I would say Fernando Vargas.
Can you talk a little bit about Urban Youth Racing School?
Winky Wright (3:14 PM)
Urban Youth Racing School is a program that helps kids learn about the racing industry. They not only learn how to race them, but they learn how to build them too. I really like it because it's different. It's not the typical thing that you see in the inner city.
this is paul williams first real challenge at middleweight, does this play to your advantage?
Winky Wright (3:15 PM)
I would say yes. He's a tall and awkward and he uses that to his advantage but I think I have the skill and that's what I will use to my advantage.
Hey Winky, would you ever consider moving back down to 154 for a fight with Oscar De la Hoya?
Winky Wright (3:17 PM)
(laughing) Yes but I don't think that Oscar wants to fight me. He's been running from me my whole career. But I would love to fight Oscar at 154.
Alexander (Twin Cities)
Winky, I can't wait until Saturday. Without giving away your gameplan, how do you plan on dealing with Williams' high-volume punch count?
Winky Wright (3:18 PM)
I don't think he can throw a lot of punches when he's getting hit. He only throws a lot of punches when he's not getting hit and I plan on hitting him.
Kazmaier (Auburn, AL)
Do you think you can out box Williams from the outside, or will you need to close the distance and pressure to win?
Winky Wright (3:20 PM)
I do think I can out box him from the outside but it all depends on what he gives me.
bob....jersee [via mobile]
hey Winky big even though you destroyed my boy Trindad, just wondering why so long of a lay off? Think it will effect you? thanks good luck!
Winky Wright (3:21 PM)
Thanks ...It was a long layoff because nobody wanted to fight me. I couldn't get a top fighter in the middleweight class.
Carlos(San Jose, Ca)
Who do you like for the Pac-Hatton fight?
Winky Wright (3:22 PM)
That's going to be a really good fight. Everybody is going for Paquiao but I think I'll go for Hatton.
Carlos (San Jose, CA)
Can you see yourself fighting into your forties?
Winky Wright (3:23 PM)
No, not really. I want to do maybe another year maybe year and a half at the most. In that time, I would like to face De La Hoya, Calzaghe, and maybe ever Trinidad again.
Winky Wright (3:24 PM)
Thanks to all my fans for all the support! The next two years are ours so keep looking out!
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMDawgNation's David Ching
- 12:00 PMYanks with Wally Matthews
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMDallas' Jean-Jacques Taylor
- 1:30 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 3:00 PMFantasy NASCAR Focus
- 4:00 PMGatorNation's Mike DiRocco
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 12:00 PMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMWolverineNation's Jennings
- 12:00 PMBraves' P Craig Kimbrel
- 12:00 PMMets with Adam Rubin
- 1:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 1:00 PMNFL blogger Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMJohn Oreovicz on Indy 500
- 1:00 PMGiants with Youngmisuk
- 2:00 PMJets with Rich Cimini
- 2:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 2:30 PMIndyCar's Ed Carpenter
- 3:00 PMBoxer Delvin Rodriguez
- 3:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 4:00 PMFootball Scientist KC Joyner
- 11:00 AMNoleNation's David Hale
- 12:00 PMNFL with Dan Graziano
- 1:00 PMCubs, Sox with Levine
- 1:00 PMSweetSpot's Schoenfield
- 1:00 PMDallas' Jean-Jacques Taylor
- 2:00 PMGeauxTigerNation's Laney
- 2:00 PMNFL blogger Kevin Seifert
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMGolf with Farrell Evans
- 3:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNFL with James Walker
- 4:00 PMHornsNation's Strickland