Chat with Bob Harig
Harig covers golf for ESPN.com and provides columns, features and analysis on the world of golf, specifically the PGA Tour. He has contributed to ESPN.com's golf coverage since 1997.
Send your questions now and join Bob on Thursday at 11:30 a.m. ET for all the answers.
Harig Archive: Columns
Bob Harig (11:28 AM)
Hello, thanks for joining an earlier-than-usual golf chat. I'm at the Memorial, and I've only got 30 minutes today. So fire away with your questions and I'll quickly try get you a few answers. Thanks.
Patrick Hanover PA
With the changes in grooves for wedges coming in 2010, how do you think that will affect a heavy wedge player such as Phil MIckelson. Will he be able to pull off the same type of shots?
Bob Harig (11:31 AM)
Patrick, for those who are not aware, the USGA has changed the rules for elite players starting in 2010. The grooves on wedges will be more of a V-shape than a U-shape, which means it will be more difficult to put spin on the ball. .. So will it effect players like Phil. In a word, yes. Spin will be reduced ,which means shots from out of the rough will not be as easy to get close to the hole.. . This is bound to have several reactions. Players might feel they have to get the ball in the fairway. Or they might have to play different shots from the rough to account for the way the ball flies out of there. It's going to be an on-going issue.
Jon (Des Moines)
Did it really take Singh 5 strokes to get down from 35 yards on the 18th hole for 7? Then he drains a 70 footer for birdie on #1... Go figure.. I thought he was showing signs, but it looks to me like he's still all over the place. Your thoughts on the state of his game?
Bob Harig (11:33 AM)
Jon, Vijay is still not to the level we are used to, and you can certainly attribute it to the knee surgery he had in January. It's been a slow comeback and he has shown signs of good play lately.
Do you think Rocco has a chance to seriously contend this year? Or was last year kind of fluky?
Bob Harig (11:34 AM)
I wouldn't call last year fluky. Rocco played very well at the Memorial, where he tied for sixth. Then he went through 36-hole qualifying to make the Open field. And then he had a solid tournament at the Open, obviously. This year has been more of a struggle. He's not contended. That doesn't mean he can't get hot at Bethpage.
Patrick Hanover PA
What is your take on the Kenny Perry Situation at the FBR OPen?
Bob Harig (11:36 AM)
Patrick, it's a tough one. It doesn't look good when you view the video. The ball clearly becomes more visible. But did he move it? No. Was he doing something that is done on any shot in golf not in a hazard? Yes. I also believe strongly in the players policing themselves. His competitor, Charly Hoffman, did not have a problem with it. I think we have to leave it there.
Who do you take- Orl to win the Finals or Tiger to win Memorial??
Bob Harig (11:38 AM)
Brandon, how about both? Could happen.
Rick Dallas, TX
What are your thoughts on John Daly returning to the PGA tour
Bob Harig (11:41 AM)
Rick, I think it's great for golf to have him back, but for his sake, he'd be better off concentrating on playing in Europe. I wrote this last week. Playing the PGA Tour is going to be a hit-and-miss proposition because he won't get to play many tournaments. But he can build some momentum in Europe and maybe even retain his card over there. But a few cameos on the PGA Tour will not hurt.
Harrison [via mobile]
what changes are being made to make bethpage harder then '02?
Bob Harig (11:43 AM)
Harrison, I'm not sure any changes were meant to make it harder. If anything, it'll be easier than 2002. They've taken steps to make it easier to get to the fairways at the 10th and 12th hole although the course overall will be longer.
Gotten any in-round messages from any LPGA players yet?
Bob Harig (11:50 AM)
Marc is referring to the notion presented by LPGA commissioner Carolyn Bivens that she wouldn't mind seeing her players "tweet' during rounds. So far, no such tweets have come my way. And to be honest, I don't think it's a good idea.
How about Luke Donald torching the Memorial so far?
Bob Harig (12:00 PM)
Matt, it's pretty impressive. With one hole to go, he's 8 under and is four ahead of just one player.
I don't really follow golf closely, watch it when it's on sometimes. Just wondering if Michelle Wie is still around?
Bob Harig (12:00 PM)
Drew, Michelle Wis is now a full-time member of the LPGA Tour. You'll be able to see her next week at the LPGA Championship, the LPGA's second major of the year.
Bob Harig (12:01 PM)
Sorry folks, I'm out of time. Thanks for checking in for this brief chat. Enjoy the golf this weekend.
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Schlabach
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 1:30 PMPTI co-host Michael Wilbon
- 1:30 PMESPNChicago Bears Chat
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 12:00 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 1:30 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Matt Fortuna
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky