Chat with Barry Melrose
Welcome to SportsNation! On Thursday, ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose will drop by to take your questions about the NHL season.
Melrose re-joined ESPN after coaching the Tampa Bay Lightning for the first part of the 2008-09 season. He first started with ESPN after coaching the Los Angeles Kings to the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals and was a commentator on ESPN and ABC since 1995. Melrose made his NHL debut with the Winnipeg Jets in 1979. A defenseman, he played for the Jets, Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings before retiring after the 1986 season.
Send your questions now and join Barry Thursday at 3 p.m. ET!
Barry Melrose (3:01 PM)
Washington has proven that they are a great hockey team going in an beating St. Louis on the road last night. Let's start!
Thomas (State College, PA)
Any word on when Jordan Staal will make a return to the Pens line-up? Do you see them sticking to the plan and playing him w/ Geno, or sliding him back into the third line center role?
Barry Melrose (3:03 PM)
Pittsburgh is playing very well right now so the better they play, the longer they can give Jordan the chance to heal. When Jordan comes back, where he plays and who he plays with will be evaluated as the games go on. They would like to get two lines that can score consistently. How they do that doesn't matter.
Well since it's December we better start talking playoffs. Is there seriously and realistically any team in the league right now that could beat Detroit in a 7 game series?
Barry Melrose (3:05 PM)
Right now in the West, probably not but things change by April. I think the three best teams in the West are Vancouver, Chicago and Detroit.
Tyler Seguin (Boston)
Hey Barry, How you like my goal last night? I think there might be some All Star games in my future?
Barry Melrose (3:07 PM)
It was a great goal; we all got to see how talented you are. There's talk that Boston might send him to the World Junior with the return of Savard and that would be a good thing for him. I do think that there will be All-Star Games in your future.
James (Orange County, Ca)
Barry, do you think Cam Fowler has a legit shot at winning the Calder? or am i being a homer thinking he does
Barry Melrose (3:08 PM)
It's tough for a defenseman to win the Calder but if he keeps playing the way that he is with the minutes that he's playing, and if no young forward catches fire, Cam will be one of the rookies looked at for the Calder.
Matt (Maryland )
What is your take on the Caps-Avalanche trade? And what do you think it means for the Capitals?
Barry Melrose (3:10 PM)
I like the deal for the Caps because it sends a message that they are serious about defensive hockey. He has been a shutdown defenseman this year and Fleischmann was a good pickup by the Aves. Another young forward.
What do you think aboutmaking PK Subban a healthy scratch tonight after rookie mistakes yesterday? Isn't harsh for a guy who's been outstanding so far this year?
Barry Melrose (3:13 PM)
It depends why the mistakes are made. Any coach will except mistakes made out of aggressiveness won't take mistakes made out of complacency. Right now, Subban is my pick for Roolie of the Year. And the winning goal last night was Cammalleri's fault, not Subban's.
The Bruins would be crazy if they sent Seguin to the World Juniors right? I understand why he would want to play, but winning Boston a cup would be an enormous thing for his career and for the city
Barry Melrose (3:14 PM)
Don't forget that when Savard comes back, Seguin time will drop and no young player gets better by watching. It would only be for a few weeks and then he would come back to Boston.
Jean ((Natick MA))
What do you think about the past two trades the Bruins have made? Were they nececary?
Barry Melrose (3:17 PM)
I'm not sure which deals you are talking about. I think the Florida trade was a great trade for the Bruins and the Kessel trade has turned out well for them too. So the Bruins have done pretty well via the trade market so far. The best trade was not trading Tim Thomas.
Derek (New Jersey)
Hey Barry, with Carcillo and Leighton coming back from injuries, the Flyers are pretty packed with forwards, dmen, and goalies. See the Flyers trading anybody soon?
Barry Melrose (3:19 PM)
I think the Flyers like their team and they are playing well right now. They have to find out in Leighton can play. The Flyers are always been willing to trade but right now I think they are happy with what they have.
Barry Melrose (3:23 PM)
Right now, my pick for Comeback Player of the Year, the Venina Trophy and MVP is Tim Thomas. He's been great so far. Chat with you again next week.
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Schlabach
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 1:30 PMPTI co-host Michael Wilbon
- 1:30 PMESPNChicago Bears Chat
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 12:00 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 1:30 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Matt Fortuna
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky