Chat with Quint Kessenich
Welcome to SportsNation! On Wednesday, ESPNU's Quint Kessenich stops by to chat about this weekend's slate of the college lacrosse games. On Friday, tune in to ESPNU to see No. 2 Virginia take on No. 1 Syracuse at 6 p.m. ET. On Saturday, ESPNU will air Princeton-Johns Hopkins (1 p.m. ET), while ESPN3.com will air Maryland-Duke and Gettysburg-Salisbury (both at 1 p.m. ET).
Kessenich, a four-time All American and 1990 graduate of Johns Hopkins University, has covered lacrosse for ESPN for over a decade. His responsibilities include featured regular-season action and the NCAA Division I Men's Lacrosse Championship.
Kessenich also serves as a play-by-play announcer and sideline reporter for ESPN's college basketball, college football and NCAA Championship coverage.
Send your questions now and join Kessenich Wednesday at 2 p.m. ET!
Quint Kessenich (2:02 PM)
I'm really excited about the 2011 season and the upcoming Virginia-Syracuse game Friday at 6 p.m. on ESPNU.
Tim (Syracuse, NY)
Cuse/Virginia this weekend, who ya got??
Quint Kessenich (2:04 PM)
I don't make predictions on games that I cover which is an ESPN mandate. This game appears to be a tossup. If Las Vegas had a line, Syracuse would be favorite by a goal.
Denver CO [via mobile]
Whats your thoughts on the LAX scene in Denver
Quint Kessenich (2:05 PM)
The Denver Pioneers are making a serious push toward being an elite NCAA team. And the support that the Mile High city has shown the Denver Outlaws has been awesome. To me, Denver has been the western capital of the lacrosse movement.
Chris Fiegler (Latham,NY)
Even though you Cover College LaCrosse,What is your favorite Major League Lacrosse team?
Quint Kessenich (2:07 PM)
The atmosphere and environment INVESCO Field in Denver is electric and I love that city. I also enjoy going up to Boston which is an amazing summer time city and I enjoy watching the Cannons play.
Who in your mind is the best team in the country right now?
Quint Kessenich (2:08 PM)
To me there are three teams that standout right now - Virginia, Syracuse and Maryland. That's why Friday is such a big game.
what are the keys to a virginia win Friday?
Quint Kessenich (2:10 PM)
Their shooting on offense is key. They have proven they can get shots but the question is the quality of those shots. They are shooting against the nation's best goalie in John Galloway. Defensively they have to be able to cover JoJo Marasco who is the Orange's best badger.
Other than your game this weekend, what are some other games you'll have your eye on?
Quint Kessenich (2:12 PM)
There are some key games involving the Ivy League this weekend. Harvard at Hofstra, Cornell at Army, Princeton at John's Hopkins and Brown at UMass. Those are all close, competitive and important games in terms of top-25 national rankings.
Quint, as a former player, how excited were you when spring finally arrived and you didn't have to worry about the weather being a factor any more during your games?
Quint Kessenich (2:13 PM)
The game has really changed in the last 20 years. The season used to open in early March and now it starts in early February. I've always felt that the fans really come out of their winter shelter in late April when the leaves are on the trees. For me, playing goalie in frozen temperatures was torture.
We've heard in college basketball this season about a lot of parity. Do you think that parity has also spread into college lacrosse.
Quint Kessenich (2:15 PM)
I think that the pool of talent at the high school level has grown so fast and produced so many quality players while D1 growth is stagnant. Top ranked teams aren't always getting the top tier talent like in college basketball. So when a team like Penn upsets a team like Duke, that's an example of parity.
The east coast has some great lacrosse. And you mentioned Denver as making a push to being an elite NCAA team. Are there any other areas of the country that you've seen some growth in for the sport of lacrosse?
Quint Kessenich (2:17 PM)
Right now Florida is making a push to be the next major hot bed. There are 162 high schools that play lacrosse in that state. Growth is doubling every five years and the profile of athlete has improved. California and the mid west are two other regions that are on fire.
What's your favorite college atmosphere to watch a game?
Quint Kessenich (2:19 PM)
There are a handful of places that are unique and special. The Carrier Dome in Syracuse where 16,000 will watch Friday night's game, Klockner Stadium at UVA, Homewood field in Baltimore and Garber Field Amherst, MA are my favorites.
Quint Kessenich (2:21 PM)
Thanks for the questions. I'm heading up to Syracuse tomorrow to watch both teams practice. Friday's game between UVA and Cuse should be one of the most exciting games of the year.
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMDawgNation's David Ching
- 12:00 PMYanks with Wally Matthews
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMDallas' Jean-Jacques Taylor
- 1:30 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 3:00 PMFantasy NASCAR Focus
- 4:00 PMGatorNation's Mike DiRocco
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 12:00 PMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMWolverineNation's Jennings
- 12:00 PMBraves' P Craig Kimbrel
- 12:00 PMMets with Adam Rubin
- 1:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 1:00 PMNFL blogger Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMJohn Oreovicz on Indy 500
- 1:00 PMGiants with Youngmisuk
- 2:00 PMJets with Rich Cimini
- 2:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 2:30 PMIndyCar's Ed Carpenter
- 3:00 PMBoxer Delvin Rodriguez
- 3:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 4:00 PMFootball Scientist KC Joyner
- 11:00 AMNoleNation's David Hale
- 12:00 PMNFL with Dan Graziano
- 1:00 PMCubs, Sox with Levine
- 1:00 PMSweetSpot's Schoenfield
- 1:00 PMDallas' Jean-Jacques Taylor
- 2:00 PMGeauxTigerNation's Laney
- 2:00 PMNFL blogger Kevin Seifert
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMGolf with Farrell Evans
- 3:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNFL with James Walker
- 4:00 PMHornsNation's Strickland