Chat with Inside College Hockey!
Joe Gladziszewski (1:32 PM)
Welcome to this week's segment of The Show with Insidecollegehockey.com. Editor Mike Eidelbes and myself are here to take your questions for the next hour.
What's the deal with Lake Superior? Scott Borek was practically run out of town. Frank Anzelone returns as if he's the second coming, but hasn't done much better. What gives?
Mike Eidelbes (1:38 PM)
I saw Lake State give Michigan State all the Spartans could handle in a 2-2 draw at Munn Ice Arena last weekend. Anzalone's return was questioned by many, but the Lakers play hard and have a very good goaltender in Jeff Jakaitis, and they're a difficult team to play against because they're so physical...they wear you down. They'll be in good shape once they find some goal scorers.
Hurley (New York, NY)
If had to choose a goaltender in the ECAC to be on your team for a playoff game, regardless of the defense in front of him, whom would you pick?
Joe Gladziszewski (1:39 PM)
This answer might surprise you a bit, but I'll go with Dov Grumet-Morris at Harvard. He's had plenty of big game experience over the years, and this year has been his most consistent.
Hurley (New York, NY)
Which ECAC team do you think has the best chance of doing some damage in the NCAA Tourney this year, and why?
Joe Gladziszewski (1:41 PM)
And now to get to this one ... I think it's got to be Cornell. Team defense and special teams can carry you so far in the NCAA Tournament. With a favorable draw, there's a good chance that Cornell could make another run at the Frozen Four.
How long is Ron Mason going to put up with mediocrity in the Spartan program?
Mike Eidelbes (1:43 PM)
Well, I interpret that question to read, 'Will he fire Rick Comley?' MSU has to be considered one of the biggest disappointments in college hockey this season, but I think Mason gives Comley another year to prove himself.
Noah (Half Moon Bay, CA)
Guys, I loved your story about college hockey in Berkeley. Do you see college hockey expansion on the West Coast, and if so, where?
Joe Gladziszewski (1:46 PM)
The game has expanded to non-traditional markets over the last 10-15 years and there's a thought that several of the Pac-10 schools that have successful club hockey programs (like Cal) could move into D-1 together, and possibly form a West coast conference.
Chuck (Wyndmere, ND)
Guys, do you think the Matt Greene thing will be a distraction for the Sioux for the rest of the season?
Mike Eidelbes (1:49 PM)
Great question. It's never a good thing when your captain is cited for DUI. As twisted as this may sound, however, maybe something like this allows Dave Hakstol to tell his team to just go out and play and not worry about all the other stuff. They seem like a team that needs to loosen up and have fun again.
Joe...any reason to panic from the recent slide of the Gophers?? Or do you think Don Lucia will right the ship and make them a contender in the Tournament?
Joe Gladziszewski (1:52 PM)
I don't think that Minnesota's recent slide reflects what the team is capable of. As our WCHA correspondent, Jess Myers, recently said -- Don Lucia's teams are always better in March and April than they are in January. I still expect to see them in Columbus, especially with the regional at Mariucci.
Sean - Boston
If you are starting a college team and can take any player.... is there any doubt you take Patrick Eaves of Boston College for his all around game?
Mike Eidelbes (1:55 PM)
That depends on whether he'll stay healthy for every game. Seriously, when people talk about Eaves, I think they forget about his versatility. For example, when BC was banged up on the blue line earlier this season, he played a little defense. In my opinion, his ability to do things like that makes him the top candidate for the Hobey Baker Award.
All the guys you like for the Hobey are from ranked teams. Don't you realize that you can be a good player even if your team doesn't win all the time?
Joe Gladziszewski (1:58 PM)
Good question Jason, and we probably did have an oversight on Colin Murphy at Michigan Tech. I really liked him when I saw him at the GLI this year, and he definitely deserves Hobey consideration with how he balances hockey, academics, and a young family.
Emmey(Upper Penninsula, MI)
Who do you think will recieve the Hobey Baker award this year?
Mike Eidelbes (2:01 PM)
I'm going to go with Patrick Eaves for the reasons mentioned above.
Joe Gladziszewski (2:02 PM)
The answer on who I think will receive it is Patrick Eaves. But that's not how I would vote ...
Mike Eidelbes (2:03 PM)
We've gotta run...thanks for all the questions. And if you didn't see your question answered here, jump on over to Inside College Hockey later today...we'll tackle more of your queries in a new feature we call INCH Overtime. Until next week, take care...
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Schlabach
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 1:30 PMPTI co-host Michael Wilbon
- 1:30 PMESPNChicago Bears Chat
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on WNBA
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMDolphins with Walker
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Adelson
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky