Chat with Eric LeGrand
LeGrand won the Jimmy V Award at the 2012 ESPYs.
Welcome to SportsNation! On Friday, former Rutgers fotoball player Eric LeGrand, who was paralyzed in Oct. 2010 in an on-the-field injury, stops by to chat about his new book "Believe: My Faith and the Tackle That Changed My Life" that hit stores last month. (Read an excerpt.)
While doctors told LeGrand that he would never come off a ventilator nor walk again, he has come off the breathing aid. He is on his way to graduating from Rutgers, who set up the Eric LeGrand Believe Fund. "Believe" is a story of finding purpose in pain and facing setbacks with strength.
Send your questions now and join LeGrand Friday at 4:30 p.m. ET!
Eric LeGrand (4:37 PM)
ELaG is in the building!
Paul Barnett (Washington DC)
You see to be in a great place mentally. How long did it take you to get to this point and do you still have to fight negative thoughts?
Eric LeGrand (4:38 PM)
No. I've been here since the start. Everything was so positive around me and there is no time for negativity now.
Tim Anderson (Pittsburgh, PA)
What are some of your favorite things to do that help you keep your spirits up? Do you read a lot?
Eric LeGrand (4:39 PM)
The only thing I really read are the postings on my Facebook and Twitter pages. People send such positive thoughts.
Eric, Who is your favorite NFL team?
Eric LeGrand (4:40 PM)
Denver Broncos all day!!! Growing up my favorite player was Terrell Davis.
Rich Wilson (Jersey)
Who is your pick to win the Super Bowl this year?
Eric LeGrand (4:41 PM)
Denver Broncos or my NFC pick the Tampa Bay Bucs!
What have you learned about yourself after the accident that you didn't know before? Do you feel like you have changed as a person or are you still pretty much the same guy, just dealing with what comes?
Eric LeGrand (4:42 PM)
I don't feel I've changed as a person but I've learned patience. Something that I've never thought I would learn.
Timo (San Diego)
It's a rule that anyone who shows up at ESPN has to give their opinion on Tim Tebow. Your turn.
Eric LeGrand (4:42 PM)
I support Tebow, maybe he'll be the starting QB for the Jets oneday.
Har Journalist (Vancouver, BC - Canada)
Hi Eric thanks for being so amazing. Despite your injury do you still envision yourself being involved in Football for a long time? You see, read, and know the game quite well. You've been drafted and are extremely well known. I'm wondering if you've thought about a career coaching or working in broadcasting? Would that interest you? I think you would be fantastic. Don't give up, you can do whatever your mind sets itself on. Thanks Eric
Eric LeGrand (4:43 PM)
Yes I do. I see myself making a broadcast career out of it.
Tyler Ambers (Charlotte)
Do you set a lot of short term goals for your rehabilitation? What are you working on right now?
Eric LeGrand (4:44 PM)
I try to set goals for things that I can control. Like sitting straight up.
What has surprised you most about being a broadcaster? Also, how does Rutgers replace Holmes on the DL? Thanks!
Eric LeGrand (4:45 PM)
Making sure I'm on point with whatever I say. If not, it can come off bad. It's hard, but it means the young guys have to step up and more playing time for the veterans.
What is your opinion of the attention being paid to safety issues in the NFL? Do you feel any of the changes have resulted in the game getting too soft, or is that what is needed?
Eric LeGrand (4:47 PM)
I appreciate them for making safety priority a but I don't think the NFL should change any of its rules. I think what's needed is a more protective helmet but no rule changes.
Stephanie (Lake City, Ia)
Just want to tell you what an inspiration you are for so many. My sister was paralyzed In an accident in June. She swerved to miss hitting a deer , and rolled her vehicle. Our lives were changed so much in that moment. She is a hIgh school senior & just turned 18. She is a cheerleader
Eric LeGrand (4:49 PM)
I'm glad to be the newest member of the Subway team. Subway believes in me and I believe in Subway. Thank you guys for joining me today. Check out my book "Believe" which is in stores now. Catch me broadcasting Rutgers football games on WOR-710 radio for pregame, halftime and postgame.
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Schlabach
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 1:30 PMPTI co-host Michael Wilbon
- 1:30 PMESPNChicago Bears Chat
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on WNBA
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMDolphins with Walker
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Adelson
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky